Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 07-Dec-11 22:57:12
Print Post

Back Up to NAS

[link to this post]

Hello,

I have a readynas duo on my network with 2 x 1TB HDDs running Raid 1. I have also a 2TB Hitachi External HDD plugged into the NAS and set to auto back up every night from the NAS to the Hitachi. So, I hope my NAS is pretty well backed up.

My trouble is, I have a laptop running Win 7 HP. I need to find a way of auto backing up from the laptop to the network storage when I get home so that it does this itself. Can anyone please advise me of what I might need o do to achieve this.

MY thnaks indeed for any and all help
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Dec-11 23:02:01
Print Post

Re: Back Up to NAS

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

You might want to look at Genie Timeline which provides continuous backups (akin to Time Machine in OS X).
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Wed 07-Dec-11 23:17:34
Print Post

Karen's replicator with a scheduled job.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Interviewer: ”Is that a bad thing?”

Scottish Labour politician: “No, but they are doing it deliberately.”

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User philippercival
(committed) Wed 07-Dec-11 23:20:04
Print Post

Cobian Backup with a scheduled job
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 07-Dec-11 23:26:17
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by camieabz:
Karen's replicator
I used to use some of her stuff in my Windows days, basic but well-crafted software as I recall.

Istr she died a little while ago, is it still going?

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Wed 07-Dec-11 23:44:44
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

I suppose so. I used the site a few months ago.

http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Interviewer: ”Is that a bad thing?”

Scottish Labour politician: “No, but they are doing it deliberately.”
Standard User herbgold
(member) Thu 08-Dec-11 20:09:19
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

Well, Acronis True Image 2012 very annoyingly doesn't back up to my Synology NAS, although it's supposed to.
Standard User jhurrell
(experienced) Tue 13-Dec-11 11:37:21
Print Post

If you're technically minded, you could simply run a batch file that uses robocopy with the /MIR switch whenever you needed to synchronise your laptop back to the NAS. http://ss64.com/nt/robocopy.html robocopy is available natively in Win7.

I also use the free GUI based SyncBack on some machines: http://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/freeware-hub.html You can create a job and just run the job whenever you need to.

You could schedule both of these to run at logon too...
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 13-Dec-11 11:46:15
Print Post

[re: jhurrell] [link to this post]

Bear in mind that synchronization and backup are different strategies. Backups are usually intended to provide the facility of restoring files that the user has deleted (in fact - IMO - that the prime purpose) as well as providing for disaster recovery.

Robocopy is not really the best of tools for backup purposes (particularly when used with the /mir option, which deletes files on the destination that no longer exist in the source) as it is difficult to make it keep multiple copies of the same file. This is where the Time Machine model of OS X is so good.
  Print Thread

Jump to