Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User oghetwht
(newbie) Fri 16-Dec-11 02:34:53
Print Post

How do I delete the whole hard drive? *DELETED*

[link to this post]

Post deleted by billford

Edited by oghetwht (Fri 16-Dec-11 02:47:26)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 16-Dec-11 02:54:46
Print Post

Re: How do I delete the whole hard drive?

[re: oghetwht] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by oghetwht:
It has a bunch of stuff on it. Stuff I don't need or would use. How do I delete the whole hard drive & start from scratch? Can I do that or do I just have to keep all of this stuff? Also if I do delete the whole thing, do I need a certain disk to put windows back or will it come back?
You can delete all the data on the drive, by formatting it, but if you where to delete the operating system, then you would need a dvd with the os on it to clean install windows, as it will not regenerate it's self
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Dec-11 03:24:01
Print Post

Just reinstalling the OS from scratch, from a windows CD, will free up all the stuff. Unless you actually want to zeroise it for security reasons.

Most PCs contain a Recovery Partition that allows you to get it back to factory condition.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Dec-11 07:33:25
Print Post

I think that if you have to ask this question you would be well advised not to try it. Although re-installing the OS is fairly simple, there are a number of potential problems that can cause grief. If it doesn't matter if you end up with a non-working computer then go ahead. Otherwise I would recommend that you get a knowledgable friend, or a professional, to help you the first time you try this procedure.
  Print Thread

Jump to