Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User JimKirk363
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 31-Dec-11 19:27:13
Print Post

Action Centre Flagging a Non Existant Problem

[link to this post]

Over the past 2 days for some reason the action Centre has been flagging that Adaware Adwatch Live is not activated when it is and fully upto date.

Just to be sure i did a scan of my system incase something has been disabling secuirity and found no problems.

I Scanned using Comodo Internet Security, Malwarebytes and Spybot and no problems were found anywhere but Windows 7 STILL! claims its not active.

Anyone know what it is?

Athlon 64 6000+ AM2 X2, ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe 570 NForce Mainboard, 4GB DDR 2 XMS2 800Mhz Cosair Ram, 6054.81GB Hard Disk Space, 1GB ATI 4670 HD PCI-E 16x Graphics, 850watt PSU.

Ex AOL Dialup 56k Customer....
Ex Freedom2Surf 512k and Ex Eclipse Internet 2mb Customer.

Virgin Media 50mb Cable

Virgin Media R EVIL!!!
http://www.speedtest.net/result/932560190.png
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 31-Dec-11 20:26:44
Print Post

Re: Action Centre Flagging a Non Existant Problem

[re: JimKirk363] [link to this post]

Don't worry about it. It is extremely likely it is just adaware that is failing to notify the Windows NAP client that it has properly updated. The messages in Action Centre could be somewhat described as "Cosmetic" and as long as the actual program reports it is OK, then it is simply a case of them not talking properly to each other.

This technet post describes in detail how the process works: http://blogs.technet.com/b/nap/archive/2008/09/05/wh...

I can't resist saying but having all those security products installed at once isn't a very good idea and they are bound to conflict.

You could try an uninstall and reinstall but there is a good chance if this just started to happen - it may have been caused by a definition update and after lavasoft (presuming they still make it?) get enough complaints they will release an update to fix it smile

(Unregistered)Sat 31-Dec-11 21:55:34
Print Post

The "Action Centre" is known to be a little buggy. Like XP's version of System Restore - not to be relied upon 100%.

I'd be more concerned about using a Lavasoft product since the company was bought out by new owners with less than clean credentials:
Suprisingly little information on Lavasoft acquisition
Lavasoft's new owners operated misleading websites
Were Lavasoft's buyers once on its hit list?

HNY,

satrow

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 31-Dec-11 22:00:53
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Ad-Aware has long since been an effective product anyway - in my opinion. Back in the Windows 98 days it was a good product but by 2002/3, XP had come along and malware had changed. It no longer provided cutting edge protection and their attempts at a real-time engine wern't very good. The software was extremely buggy.

Bit like PestPatrol, which again was a fantastic product in it's day, but after CA bought it out it didn't keep up and subsequently became a piece of junk.

(fountain of knowledge) Sat 31-Dec-11 22:16:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by JimKirk363:
Over the past 2 days for some reason the action Centre has been flagging that Adaware Adwatch Live is not activated when it is and fully upto date.

Just to be sure i did a scan of my system incase something has been disabling secuirity and found no problems.

I Scanned using Comodo Internet Security, Malwarebytes and Spybot and no problems were found anywhere but Windows 7 STILL! claims its not active.

Anyone know what it is?
could be that some bit of legit sw on your system has wrongly switched off a windows service /s that are responsible for not communicating properly with windows , i would get a similar notification to your even though i had updated the security app , until i found out the windows service responsible for it ,and reverted it back to start automatically something had turned it off , problem is i can't remember it's name

Standard User JimKirk363
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 01-Jan-12 01:41:29
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

I would agree if they were all running at the same time but they are not.

The only ones that run side by side when the PC starts is Adaware and Comodo.

Athlon 64 6000+ AM2 X2, ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe 570 NForce Mainboard, 4GB DDR 2 XMS2 800Mhz Cosair Ram, 6054.81GB Hard Disk Space, 1GB ATI 4670 HD PCI-E 16x Graphics, 850watt PSU.

Virgin Media 50mb Cable

Virgin Media R EVIL!!!
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 01-Jan-12 01:46:53
Print Post

Hmm, in reality you have absolutely no way of ensuring that when they are not "running" that they are not conflicting. Even if the actual process isn't appearing in task manager, it is still possible they do things which conflict, due to the installation process etc. This is why you can run into issues where people install a new product and it drags the system right down, it's because the old security product didn't properly remove itsself out of the OS.

You're probably going to be OK given the products you listed, andit obviously does run fine but, personally, I wouldn't try it because of the risk it would introduce instability which cannot be predicted.

I wouldn't do it on a production server put it that way wink

Out of interest though why do you feel you need to have so many products installed? Spyware doesn't force itsself onto the PC, you generally accidentally download it, if you are so concerned about that then just be extremely careful about downloading executables and run just one product.

The only thing those products detect surely are tracking cookies?

Edited by Pipexer (Sun 01-Jan-12 01:54:36)

Standard User JimKirk363
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 02-Jan-12 00:49:07
Print Post

i run them because they are trusted products and ive had them on my system for around 2 years and until now NEVER had an issue.

Virgin Media 50mb Cable

Virgin Media R EVIL!!!
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Jan-12 01:04:45
Print Post

But, are they actually detecting anything? If they are regularly detecting malware and things then you are doing something wrong. I ran my XP system for 3 years without antivirus and didn't have an issue nor any sort of malware infection - I just didn't go launching unknown files.

People are under the impression that spyware and viruses get onto the system like magic, and that they need these products to repel them, 99% of the time this is simply not the case.

(experienced) Mon 02-Jan-12 06:23:08
Print Post

My Action Center warns me about once a week that McAffee is turned off when it clearly isn't. Just a buggy feature, I fear.

Dell Studio 15 with Win7 64bit and 4GB RAM
VM 50 Mbps
IE9

Advent laptop/Dell Inspiron 6000
Netgear 2200 via BT line (8Mbs).
BT Option 3
IE8 and OE6
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to