Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User astanden
(regular) Mon 02-Jan-12 19:05:41
Print Post

New notebook

[link to this post]

Hi folks,

Sorry to barge in here smile

My Mother in Law has just got a new Samsung notebook and has an annoying problem. I'm hoping someone here can help?

She has set it up from new (Windows 7) and migrated all her stuff across from old laptop.
All seems to be ok except one thing.

When she logged in using the Admin account for the first time she was asked for the Admin password to run some Samsung applications (EasySpeedUpManager2.exe WifiManager.exe BatteryLifeExtender.exe SmartRestarter.exe etc. . . ) When she subsequently logs into the Admin account she has not been asked for the password again

When she logs in to the User account (I assume it is better to have a User account for everyday use and an Admin account for software updates/installs etc. . . .) she is asked every time for the Admin password.

Is there a way to make the User account remember the Admin password to run these startup applications, or can she delete them altogether? I think they are Samsung only application rather than Windows.

I hope I've not confused you all. Please be gentle with your answers as I'm not familiar with any Windows after XP smile

Many Thanks,

Adam

MacBook Pro 15" 2.53GHz 4GB RAM 250 HDD
iPhone 4 16GB

O2 Home Broadband Standard
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Jan-12 19:20:32
Print Post

Re: New notebook

[re: astanden] [link to this post]

It sounds like there are some programs in her start-up folder that require admin privileges. Providing that you are happy for these programs to run, you can set them to run with administrator privileges using the right-click menu.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Our democracy is but a name. We vote? What does that mean?
It means that we choose between two bodies of real, though not avowed, autocrats.
We choose between Tweedledum and Tweedledee.
Helen Keller
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Jan-12 21:03:48
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

Unfortunately this would still make it ask for the credentials for the Admin account if the User account isn't an Administrator.

This is a typical example of companies like Samsung bundling [censored] with their computers, Dell machines do this too and it's a pain in the [censored].

It can be caused by various things but you can try the following

-Enter the Admin credentials when logged on as the user, launch the programs then exit, then see if the issue goes away.
-Log on as the Admin and repeat this process, see if the issue goes away for the user account
-Change the account type of the User to an Administrator account, log on, run the programs, log off, change it back to user, and see if it goes away.
-Try creating another user account.
-Remove them out of the startup folder so they don't launch.
-Go into msconfig and remove them out of the startup tab.
-Remove the software altogether.
-Do away with the user account and just use Admin.

To be honest I'd just let her use the Admin account. If it isn't then she isn't going to be able to update software such as Java, adobe reader and the likes, more fuss than it's worth.

However this one thing you said didn't make sense
When she logged in using the Admin account for the first time she was asked for the Admin password to run some Samsung applications

If you logged in as the Admin account, it shouldn't then ask you to re-type the admin password with the default settings (this can be changed in the security policy though I doubt that was done). If it is asking for your password to elevate things even when you are logged in as an Administrator (rather than a Yes or No) then something else could be borked which is why you are seeing this.

Edited by Pipexer (Mon 02-Jan-12 21:12:00)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User astanden
(regular) Tue 03-Jan-12 08:04:42
Print Post

[re: astanden] [link to this post]

Thanks Guys, will try your advice when I'm next over there.

Pipexer - It only asked for the password the first time she logged in as Admin.

Thanks again,

Adam

MacBook Pro 15" 2.53GHz 4GB RAM 250 HDD
iPhone 4 16GB

O2 Home Broadband Standard
  Print Thread

Jump to