Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User DavidFinbarr
(freechataholic) Tue 10-Jan-12 12:23:55
Print Post

Firefox 3.6 End Of Life

[link to this post]

Anyone using FF3.6 looks like the due date of EOL is April 24th, 2012

A bottle of white, a bottle of red
Perhaps a bottle of rosé instead.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Jan-12 22:58:45
Print Post

Re: Firefox 3.6 End Of Life

[re: DavidFinbarr] [link to this post]

i still got version 3 installed.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
(freechataholic) Tue 10-Jan-12 23:06:36
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

The really have lost the plot, FF 18 by end of year, FF 26 by end of next year.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User smurf46
(member) Tue 10-Jan-12 23:18:43
Print Post

And 3.6 is still much faster and less prone to hanging/crashing on a comparable spec machine to the laptop on which I have regrettably allowed FF to update to version 9, or whatever the current version is as I've lost count. And more convenient, with its add-ons. (I'm talking here of several minutes to start FF current versions compared to a couple of seconds for 3.6 so it makes a difference, at least to my patience!). FF6 might be end of life, but as far as I'm concerned the later versions are dead in the water.

Before anyone mentions both run Vista and have the same software (including virus and firewall software).

We see things not as they are, but as we are .
- Anais Nin

Edited by smurf46 (Tue 10-Jan-12 23:28:18)

(freechataholic) Wed 11-Jan-12 00:08:23
Print Post

[re: smurf46] [link to this post]

Still running 3.6 myself, it does what I want it too and all add ons work.

I did try 4 & 5 both times quickly reverted back to 3.6. I'm in no rush to update.

Standard User Malwaremike
(member) Wed 11-Jan-12 09:58:11
Print Post

Like many (maybe most?) users I have no interest in gimmicky skins, lurid colours etc and all I want is a clear, plain interface. FF3.6 does me perfectly and I wish Mozilla had left it alone.

If it does get the chop I'm back to IE, or can anyone suggest a plain simple interface like FF3.6? I tried Chrome and found it worse than FF7/8/9 or whatever Mozilla is playing with this month.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 11-Jan-12 11:27:52
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

I'll still e using 3.6 even if support is pulled on it as there nothing else out there that I like.

So I'll be keeping a copy of the last version on my backup drive in case I need to reinstall.
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 11-Jan-12 12:22:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by Malwaremike:
If it does get the chop I'm back to IE, or can anyone suggest a plain simple interface like FF3.6? I tried Chrome and found it worse than FF7/8/9 or whatever Mozilla is playing with this month.
I've been a Mozilla/FF user since the original Mozilla browser was released.. But, like so many, I'm getting tired of the slow startups and random pauses.. I still have FF8 (there's and add-in I use that's not compatible with 9) but mostly I use Chrome - fast startup and fast browsing.. The interface is pretty plain and that works for me, too.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 11-Jan-12 23:29:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by Malwaremike:
Like many (maybe most?) users I have no interest in gimmicky skins, lurid colours etc and all I want is a clear, plain interface. FF3.6 does me perfectly and I wish Mozilla had left it alone.

That is why i went for Iron,

No way would I go back to IE, I would rather go back to using Opera than IE. chrome is ok, but if you don't want to use Chrome itself, then use Iron which is chrome without the google rubbish.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 13-Jan-12 06:56:50
Print Post

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

slow startup not big deal as once my browser is running it should stay up for a month until I next reboot.
However the pauses/stuttering are a pain and other browsers dont suffer the same issues.

I have theories as to the causes which are linked to design decisions made by mozzila if I am right.

sql storage instead of basic text files. sql will force a sync to disk on any write and probably isnt a good method for this type of data.

one large file for bookmark, history, search storage, vs IE which uses one file for each bookmark, another for history and another for search.

background garbage collection routines, due to some severe memory leaks FF is quite agressive on background routines to recover lost memory, this drags the browser down. I tested by adjusting a setting from a very low
default of a few hundrend meg up to 1.5gig for it to be considered in high memory mode and that had a very noticeable impact, unfortenatly the browser gets to 1.5gig ram usage fairly quick still and as such still slows down.

the decision to only partially implement bartab, they added the startup feature where it doesnt load all tabs at startup, but they didnt implement the auto unloading of idle tabs and the ability to manual unload tabs.

still no seperate of processes, if I were to load 50 or so tabs in IE9 it would be using about 16 iexplore.exe processes. Able to take advantage of multiple cpu cores amongst other things. Doing the same on firefox and everything including the gui and garbage collection is sharing just one firefox.exe process.

FF 5/6/7/8/9 is very fast if you just have one tab open or maybe just a few tabs, but gets very slow when many tabs open, and it doesnt need to be 100s either, I notice it after 10-20 tabs. I dont care about the ram usage as I have 16gig of ram, so I would love a build where they disabled all GC.
  Print Thread

Jump to