Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Jan-12 22:32:56
Print Post

Vista crashes after MS updates

[link to this post]

An elderly friend mentioned yesterday that since a screen-full of updates were applied to his Vista laptop it's crashing or BSOD'ing whenever he tries to do something.

Time permitting for both of us I'll be looking at it tomorrow.

At the moment I know no more than in the first para. I'm not even actually certain the the MS updates and the crashes are related though I'll be considering that as a possibility.

I've got this vague feeling that I've very recently seen something about one or more recent Windows updates causing problems - whether crashes or other I don't know.

Does anyone know of problems with recent Vista updates causing crashes/BSODs?

Tony
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Jan-12 23:19:44
Print Post

Re: Vista crashes after MS updates

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

No problems here with Vista. One possibility is that your friend's machine was already compromised by something dodgy and something in the latest round of updates is not allowing it to play as it would like anymore so it is throwing a sulk.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User john2007
(legend) Mon 16-Jan-12 23:25:14
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

Didn't there just use to be updates on the first Tuesday of each month? If so it seems strange this happened when it apparently did.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Jan-12 23:30:00
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

He was in hospital for several weeks before Christmas so it's possible that there's been a big catch up. He did mention a screen's worth of updates were listed, which seems a lot, but may be explained by his absence from the PC.

There's also been some out-of-band updates recently so they'll add to the volume.

Tony
Standard User john2007
(legend) Mon 16-Jan-12 23:35:34
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

That certainly explains the timing.
  Print Thread

Jump to