Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 19-Jan-12 20:52:22
Print Post

google Public DNS

[link to this post]

I have changed the DNS on my machines( win 7 & win xp)in windows control panei. Do I need to change the DNS on my Router as well. My search findings are not clear if this is necessary. Any ideas please?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 19-Jan-12 20:57:42
Print Post

Re: google Public DNS

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Its not necessary to change the router DNS.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 19-Jan-12 21:01:55
Print Post

No you don't.

What is happening is that when your computer needs to make a DNS lookup, it asks the google public DNS server directly. It does not ask the router for name resolutions.

If you configured the google public DNS server on your router, you would not need to configure the DNS server on the computers manually, because the DNS server on your computer would be set as your router, and when the computer asks the router, the router would ask google DNS..

Performance wise you are probably best leaving it as it is, because by asking the router you add a small amount of latency onto the lookup - sometimes the routers will cache results but on a home network it isn't of much benefit.

You can if you wish change the DNS server on the router to google DNS, but it will *not* affect those two machines you have already configured manually. I'd probably just leave it alone.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 19-Jan-12 21:16:08
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

It can be advantageous to use the router's DNS if you wish to lookup machines on your own network (say you are running your own web server, subversion server, whatever). I have a DNS server running on a PC that is always on for this purpose; it also does my DHCP and runs a few servers.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 19-Jan-12 21:36:38
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

For home use though single-label name resolutions are performed by broadcasts or LLMNR, the routers DNS often doesn't accept dynamic updates -- it just acts as a DNS proxy, and won't resolve name resolutions for other computers on the workgroup - which you can often confirm by performing an nslookup.

But yes if one wants to, that is indeed the best way, I'm running a Server 2008 R2 FFL domain which also provides DNS with DHCP, which has the advantage of creating DNS A and PTR records for even non-windows devices smile

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 19-Jan-12 21:58:38
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

My BeBox (Thompson something) router does dynamic DNS allocation from its DHCP allocations. And, of course, you can always update the DNS zone manually. But it's not as versatile as a proper Bind server, and more of a pain to use. I did use it as my local DNS server previously and it worked just fine.

Windows server is a bit overkill IMO, and far too resource hungry, so I use a FreeBSD setup - one of the most stable OSs there is (for the home market anyway).
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 31-May-12 00:24:15
Print Post

DNS Open Resolver for PC Issue

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

Hello, need help. Okay, my internet service provider temporarily suspended my internet due to a DNS violation?? My internet has since been restored but how do I do a DNS open resolver for PC or Windows? Apparently I'm running on an open DNS server but I do not have a router of any kind. They think its third party but how do I return it to my service providers DNS?
They said I should Google "DNS Open Resolver" but what next? I did a scan and it came back that I was on an open DNS.

Please help smile
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 31-May-12 00:36:13
Print Post

Re: DNS Open Resolver for PC Issue

Which ISP is this?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
  Print Thread

Jump to