Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Fri 03-Feb-12 17:24:05
Print Post

Excel linking between workbooks

[link to this post]

Not something I've done much of over the years. In fact I've avoided it where possible. However, I have a spreadsheet with masses of worksheets, and among them some chart sheets or worksheets with charts (there's a distinction).

I'd like to have the chart sheets and/or the sheets with charts copied to another workbook, for public publishing, obviously keeping back the data sheets.

Ideally, once setup, I would open main workbook, change any data (charts within would change too), then open chart workbook, and have it sync with master workbook, then save both and publish the latter, updated.

2007 btw.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2012

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Interviewer: ”Is that a bad thing?”

Scottish Labour politician: “No, but they are doing it deliberately.”
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Fri 03-Feb-12 17:42:36
Print Post

Re: Excel linking between workbooks

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

S'ok.

Worked it out.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2012

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 03-Feb-12 18:01:54
Print Post

Since you're the forum Excel guru we would all be sweating a bit if you couldn't work it out. wink

______________________________________________________________________________________________
‘Life would be so wonderful if only we knew what to do with it.’ - Greta Garbo
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Fri 03-Feb-12 18:08:25
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

I am? blush

Yay! laugh

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2012

Standard User martinsq
(learned) Sat 04-Feb-12 02:01:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by camieabz:
I am? blush

Yay! laugh

The one that I can't work out is how to link to another sheet within the same workbook..?
It's should be obvious, but...., not to me frown
Thanks,
Martin
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Sat 04-Feb-12 07:10:17
Print Post

One of the problems IME of linking between workbooks is if you should change in any way the full path of linked-to workbook.

Probably due to me being more disorganised than you and deciding to change a file or folder name smile.

Tony
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 04-Feb-12 07:29:09
Print Post

Why not simply output the Chart Sheets and the Charts on Worksheets to PDF Files?

That way, you totally avoid transferring any data, which appears to be the object of the exercise.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sat 04-Feb-12 11:11:28
Print Post

[re: martinsq] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by martinsq:
The one that I can't work out is how to link to another sheet within the same workbook..?
It's should be obvious, but...., not to me frown
Thanks,
Martin

Lets say you have a sheet called 'abc' and a sheet called xyz. If you wanted to link to a cell in xyz (e.g. A1), type in a cell:

=xyz!A1

or just type in a cell '=', then navigate to the source sheet, then click on the source cell, then click enter.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2012

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sat 04-Feb-12 11:12:26
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

I know. It's a good point. My current project is on the desktop, and if I want to move it to a folder later, I'll have to fart around with that. frown

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2012

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sat 04-Feb-12 11:14:15
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Well I want some data in chart publish form, without outputting the raw data. So I don't want to mess around with hiding/unhiding sheets or passwords everytime I make a change. Equally I want all my publish data on the document.

I may output the second workbook to PDF (or HTML).

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2012

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to