Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User wingco1
(legend) Mon 06-Feb-12 11:46:23
Print Post

'My Documents' Problem

[link to this post]

Laptop HDD had two partitions C & E. E was labelled DATA and contained two folders 'My Documents' and Downloads.

As C was getting full I copied the two folders from E, deleted it and expanded C. So far so good
I created a new folder 'Documents' under C:\user\name\ and copied the contents from the old 'My Documents'

Problem is the 'My Documents' shortcut on C looks for the location on the old E drive. As does Word when trying to save a document.

How do I change the default location of 'My Documents' to the new Documents folder on C:
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 06-Feb-12 11:49:50
Print Post

Re: 'My Documents' Problem

[re: wingco1] [link to this post]

You don't say what OS you are using, but here's how to do it in XP. Probably the same for other versions.
Standard User wingco1
(legend) Mon 06-Feb-12 12:35:28
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

Sorry, Vista. However I can't find the My Documents folder. frown

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 06-Feb-12 12:43:27
Print Post

On the Desktop? You mentioned "the 'My Documents' shortcut on C" in your OP. Isn't that it?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 06-Feb-12 12:49:07
Print Post

In Vista it's just called "Documents". Do you see "Documents" on the Start Menu? Have a look at: http://www.lockergnome.com/windows/2006/12/08/change...
Standard User wingco1
(legend) Mon 06-Feb-12 12:51:40
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Yes. I just started the Laptop and the link 'My Documents' has been replaced with 'Documents' however Lt click on Documents doesn't do anything. Rt click and opening properties gives details of the newly created Documents folder and contents.
Standard User wingco1
(legend) Mon 06-Feb-12 13:01:50
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

Don't have a 'location' tab to type in the path. This appears to be the problem, the path shown in the properties for the shortcut to the Document folder seen in C: leads to C:\Users\username\Links. Instead of \Documents. However I don't see a 'location' tab where I can change the path.

The original 'Documents' folder appears to have disappeared.

Edited by wingco1 (Mon 06-Feb-12 13:03:01)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 06-Feb-12 13:02:35
Print Post

Perhaps you should have done this before moving it manually.

But didn't you say earlier that this shortcut still pointed at E:?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User wingco1
(legend) Mon 06-Feb-12 13:04:24
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

It did last night when I was testing it. The original 'Documents' folder (the blue coloured thing) has disappeared. When I switched on this morning.

Edited by wingco1 (Mon 06-Feb-12 13:07:22)

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 06-Feb-12 13:08:40
Print Post

There's a thread here that tells you how to fix this by editing the Registry. I can't vouch for this personally, and the normal caveats about editing the Registry apply, but I see no reason why it shouldn't work.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to