Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 10-Feb-12 09:48:50
Print Post

log me in

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I am trying logmein to be able to connect to a grannys pc to help them. So far I have installed the software on my pc. Do I get them to also install it on their pc or do I need to send them a link to click on etc.

Thank you.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 10-Feb-12 10:12:06
Print Post

Re: log me in

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Whenever some support guy does that to my PC they always install something (logmein) which I insist they remove afterwards.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User BB4Tickton
(committed) Fri 10-Feb-12 16:55:32
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I prefer using Crossloop myself to help family PC's out (free), and yes they have to install the software as well on their PC. There is also no reason to uninstall the software afterwards, as the PC you want to control, someone has to be there to give you a code number (usually over the phone) so that you can enter it into your own PC then press connect. Someone has to be at the other PC to also click connect, then also to accept your own incomming connection as well.

http://www.crossloop.com/

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 10-Feb-12 17:02:29
Print Post

They need to install the LogMeIn software too. You can set it to autorun or run when initiated - best.

I often use it and have no problems - the target PCs have it in the QuickLaunch area for use when needed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Nick_Russell
(experienced) Fri 10-Feb-12 17:58:50
Print Post

I use TeamViewer and LogMeIn for all my "clients" (mum, sister, clueless friends etc). The problem with LogmeIn is that it has to be installed on both machines. It works fine, but this is can be a problem.

Try TeamViewer. It is much better. Install on your machine and from within the software you can send an email to a recipient. They then click on a link, without installing anything, just "Run", tell you ID and password that is generated their end and bingo, you are connected.

For my mum who is 90 minutes away, I have TeanViewer and LogMeIn installed permanently, and both starting with Windows so I and maintain one by using another, for example to install upgrades.

Fow friends that I regularly help, I have installed TeamViewer but not set it to start with Windows, but put a shortcut on their desktop. If they need me to connect they open up their TeamViewer and just tell me the password (new each time) for me to connect.

See here -

TeamViewer

Also you can transfer files and have a chat box using TeamViewer but not with LogMeIn Free.

Nick

Plusnet Plusnet Pro 21CN Netgear DGND3300v2 router
Windows XP Pro SP3

Edited by Nick_Russell (Fri 10-Feb-12 18:00:07)

Standard User philippercival
(committed) Fri 10-Feb-12 23:55:40
Print Post

I think that you have all the info about logmein.

I also find it useful to have dropbox on both machines, with a suitable shared folder for transferring files. This assumes that you both have a reasonably fast connection and enough of a data limit on your connection.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 11-Feb-12 03:26:25
Print Post

[re: philippercival] [link to this post]

isl light is good too, but only has a free 15 days trial,
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 14-Feb-12 08:54:52
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks, all sorted now