Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User j112
(member) Wed 15-Feb-12 22:26:08
Print Post

help needed Corrupt MBR :(

[link to this post]

So I was using my pc earlier today worked perfectly no issues, got home from work turned it on and got Unmountable boot volume, restarted it again same issue.

I have a dual boot system with windows Xp and Windows 7.

It seems that my MBR has been corrupted somehow. When I was in windows 7 I could see my D drive (XP) but could not access it.

I tried fixing the MBR but [censored] it up so I cant even get into windows 7 now.

When I turn on my pc I get 'please insert correct drive' something like that the message is.

After several hours of researching I can now boot into either O/S using Hiren's Boot CD, but without this CD I get an error message saying 'please insert correct disk/drive'

Can anyone recommend anyway to fix my MBR? I've tried a few utilities on Hiren's boot cd but no luck so far.

I've also tried the windows XP recovery setup but I get no R (repair option) at all. I really do not want to format my pc.

Kind Regards

------------------------------------------------------------------

ISP INFO

Leiceste MONTFORT Internet Connections:
0 - NTL WORLD DIAL UP
1st ISP PIPEX 512k-1mb IPSTREAM
2nd ISP UKONLINE- 4.5mb LLU
3rd ISP Zen - never got connected !
4th SKY MAX LLU - 3.5mb
Current ISP VIrgin Media 30mb

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Feb-12 22:55:44
Print Post

Re: help needed Corrupt MBR :(

[re: j112] [link to this post]

Have you tried the Windows 7 DVD -- startup repair?

It is difficult what to recommend first because it can be caused and fixed by lots of different things.

Is there any data on the disk you need backing up? If so, stop at this point, and pop the HDD into another PC or caddy and copy the data.

If not, within the Windows Recovery Console you could try the following options

fixmbr
fixboot
bootcfg /rebuild

The Windows XP recovery console is not enlightened about Windows 7 however, which is why I recommend proceeding with the Windows 7 DVD first.

(Unregistered)Wed 15-Feb-12 23:06:24
Print Post

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Wed 15-Feb-12 23:19:20
Print Post

Re: help needed Corrupt MBR :( *DELETED*

Post deleted by cheshire_man

[Sorry, hadn't read Pipexer's post first]

Edited by cheshire_man (Wed 15-Feb-12 23:20:55)

Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Wed 15-Feb-12 23:43:02
Print Post

If using a Hiren's type PE disk, you must use one that is compatible with Win7!!!
If you don't have bootable Win7 media, try Falcon4's PE with DART.
Standard User j112
(member) Thu 16-Feb-12 08:58:13
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

Sorry let me clear up a few things. I can now access both o/s's only by using Hiren's Boot CD.

All my data is stored on the Windows Xp Partition and this is the one I want working. The windows 7 Partition I'm not to bothered about as it has nothing valuable on.

Once I enter the recovery console using the XP Disk, I am given no option to Repair the XP Install, its as if it cannot see I've installed XP, it only gives me options to do a new install.

Lastnight I got into to XP and managed to write a default boot.ini file however this did not work either.

I am thinking about formating the Windows 7 Partition to try and make the problem simpler to rectify. I am still looking for a way to write a new MBR. In the meantime I will run Chkdsk /r on the drive and see if that helps.

Also just seen this http://www.ptdd.com/mbr.htm will give this a go later today and post back with results.

Update**
Okay i've decided to give the software above a go if this does not fix it, I will be taking it to a local computer shop to see if they can repair it!

ISP INFO

0 - NTL WORLD DIAL UP
4th SKY MAX LLU - 3.5mb

Edited by j112 (Thu 16-Feb-12 09:13:50)

Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Feb-12 09:48:49
Print Post

Try the bootdisk I mentioned above. You'll find everything there that you need to repair this yourself. Try DaRT5 from the main menu for starters.
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Feb-12 13:20:55
Print Post

I would get a new hard drive - even if it's fixed, it's more than likely to happen again.

However, it would be worth doing an AV check first, just in case you have a dodgy programs omewhere...

-----------------------------------------------
Good for what ails you.. Follow me on Twitter. Be* Say it with wibbles!
My YouTube Channel Programming : My GLBasic Books
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Feb-12 16:54:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by j112:
Lastnight I got into to XP and managed to write a default boot.ini file however this did not work either.
When the Recovery Console can't see the Win Installation, it is often due to a corrupt boot.ini file.

Try deleting it or renaming it using the Hiren's Boot CD and try the Recovery Console.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User j112
(member) Fri 17-Feb-12 10:19:38
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I've managed to get into the recovery console, I think its just a cmd screen? Anyway I've used the following commands;
Fixmbr
Fixboot

These both gave on screen msg that they worked I then tried checkdisk /r which ran for a bit then said one or more unrecoverable errors.

I then booted into windows using hiren's cd again, and HD Tune Pro says I have 40 bad sectors on the primary HDD which is a Samsung F3. Do you think I should buy a new hard drive?

Update*** I ran fixmbr again and the system is now working fine and can boot without any CD in the drive crazy. But I am still worried about the warning message's in HD Tune Pro. Please see screen shot.

http://s13.postimage.org/9bqqm3r45/problem.jpg

ISP INFO

0 - NTL WORLD DIAL UP
4th SKY MAX LLU - 3.5mb

Edited by j112 (Fri 17-Feb-12 10:44:10)