Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Littleseen
(learned) Mon 20-Feb-12 10:23:49
Print Post

Hardware or software issue?

[link to this post]

Plz advise --- is the following a Windows pc's hardware or a software issue?

I wish to capture incoming digital video with sound. Surely that must be digital because it arrives via the web from my ISP. It cannot therefore be analogue.

Since it displays with sound on my XP desktop pc then it is undoubtedly digital is it not? To capture this do I need a capture thingy (thus hardware) and I already have Ezeegrabber anyway but that captures & converts (to digital) on the fly analogue from my VHS-VCR so maybe that is not the tool?

Or do I need software provided from the U-Lead video prog arising from my GeForce 9500GT graphics card --- and thus software? But Video Capture is greyed out in same.

I can already capture sound from incoming video signals (say from U-Tube) by using the PCI sound-card's software that is provided by my Audigy-2 hardware. This suggests this is the kind of road to journey on but video of course?

If I could get me a handle where to go from here I might even get there, me no tekky!

Obscurity is a comfortable cloak

Edited by Littleseen (Mon 20-Feb-12 10:25:20)

Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Mon 20-Feb-12 11:20:30
Print Post

Re: Hardware or software issue?

[re: Littleseen] [link to this post]

Could be a CODEC problem. I doubt it but try installing the K-Lite pack anbd playing your vids back then.
What format are you saving these captured videos in?
Try using Real Player to download something from YouTube and play it within Real..
Standard User john2007
(legend) Mon 20-Feb-12 11:58:10
Print Post

Firefox has many add-ons (software) which will extract and save video and audio streams from the www. Nothing to do with any video hardware cards you may have.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Dick_B
(regular) Mon 20-Feb-12 12:02:49
Print Post

What is the source of the video and sound you wish to capture i.e iPlayer, Youtube or something else?

A Google search will list those that work with Youtube and others.
Standard User Littleseen
(learned) Mon 20-Feb-12 14:48:43
Print Post

[re: Dick_B] [link to this post]

U-Tube --- on there, if you ask for Geneva Drive, you can watch an ingenious mechanical interuptor mechanism show its trick. And there are many others that can convert say steady rotary motion into some very weird activity (an old-style film projector is one such).

I want to make a small collection that I can study at leisure & show to youngsters, saved to my hard drive. A convenience thing.

Obscurity is a comfortable cloak
Standard User Dick_B
(regular) Mon 20-Feb-12 15:07:50
Print Post

Re: Hardware or software issue? *DELETED*

Post deleted by billford
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 21-Feb-12 07:12:13
Print Post

Try Ant - sets up a toolbar and intercepts incomming video.
Failing that - try FRAPS - will capture anything regardless of where its from.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 21-Feb-12 09:51:12
Print Post

Re: Hardware or software issue? *DELETED*

[re: Dick_B] [link to this post]

I'm informed that the site referred to is a heavy source of infection, better safe than sorry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ffox
(committed) Tue 21-Feb-12 16:48:07
Print Post

I use Ant and it works well. You need http://www.ant.com/video-downloader (ant.com is a search engine).

Plusnet Value Fibre Pro, Netgear WNR 1000, St Ives Cambs

Edited by ffox (Tue 21-Feb-12 16:49:07)

Print Thread

Jump to