Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Littleseen
(regular) Sat 25-Feb-12 16:53:51
Print Post

shrunk web pages

[link to this post]

I used to use Windows Explorer as a browser & AOK, tried some others, then settled on Chrome but of late became very disenchanted with Chrome and indeed with Google as a search engine (because of the bias in its prioritising stuff) --- so last week returned to Explorer.

Now I have a glitch that I suspect is in the Windows internet settings somewhere but cannot nail it. Perhaps in <advanced> in the <options> ? Forwarded pages are shrunk, yes they can be maximised but terrybull tedious. Beyond me.

Example --- this forum go to <wireless mouse for laptop> and drill down to "Daniel_g" who has an e-bay suggestion. I click on that link he provides and the web-page that comes up is shrunk. Easily maximised but I didn't used to have to do so. Where am I going wrong plz?

Obscurity is a comfortable cloak
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 25-Feb-12 17:41:47
Print Post

Re: shrunk web pages

[re: Littleseen] [link to this post]

http://blog.chron.com/helpline/2006/05/how-to-set-in...
May help
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Feb-12 17:42:42
Print Post

This procedure works in IE 9, and I believe it should with earlier versions.

1. Open IE.
2. Open a pop-up.
3. Close the original window, leaving just the pop-up open.
4. Resize to the desired size and position by click-dragging (important - clicking the maximize button won't do the job, you have to resize manually).
5. Control-click the close button to close the window.

IE should now remember this new size for future pop-ups.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Feb-12 17:46:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by Littleseen:
Forwarded pages are shrunk
What do you mean by "Forwarded"? Opened under another Tab?

What do you mean by "shrunk"? Restored Down? What's the %age shown bottom R on Status Bar?
I used to use Windows Explorer
You mean Internet Explorer?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Littleseen
(regular) Sun 26-Feb-12 10:14:12
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

By shrunk I mean it is say half-size, ir is rather smaller. If I hit the maximise button it will maximise.

By forwarded I mean as in the example I quoted. I see a link posted in a forum, if I use that link then the result is hrunk to about half-screen size.

If I however use ordinary menu alternatives as in say BBC news pages then the new page opens full-size.

By Windows Explorer I mean Internet Explorer

I found no percentage displayed btm-right nor anywhere else. Using F11 for full-screen does slightly further enlarge at the price of removing toolbars etc

Standard User Littleseen
(regular) Sun 26-Feb-12 10:44:21
Print Post

Re: shrunk web pages BINGO!

Old Jim, you are a genius or whatever passes for flattery on a Sunday morning. What you describe works and I used the link you supplied as my guineapig.

Your help 100% demonstrates the value of these Forums --- all take a bow

Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Sun 26-Feb-12 12:16:13
Print Post

I found no percentage displayed btm-right nor anywhere else.
I'd guess you don't have the Status Bar chosen via menu View / Toolbars / Status bar. IIRC no Status Bar is the default.

Tony
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Feb-12 12:41:27
Print Post

Re: shrunk web pages - EDITED

By forwarded I mean as in the example I quoted. I see a link posted in a forum, if I use that link then the result is shrunk to about half-screen size.
So you are not using Tabbed browsing? When I do that, it opens another Tab ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gigabyte-M7700-1600DPI-Wir... ) in this current window and, of course, does not change the size of this window.

Yes, w/out Tabbed browsing it is difficult to control the size of IE windows.

EDIT: What version of IE are we talking of here?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sun 26-Feb-12 13:22:53)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Feb-12 21:38:23
Print Post

Re: shrunk web pages BINGO!

So, aren't you using Tabbed Browsing with IE8?

Cuz I can't understand why you are ending up with a separate shrunken window when you click a link in this window.

If you are not using Tabbed Browsing, wouldn't you be better off doing so, and avoid the issue you had in the 1st place?

Print Thread

Jump to