Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Sun 01-Apr-12 17:14:25
Print Post

Win 7 nag - This device can perform faster...

[link to this post]

System is Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. I have a mix of USB 2 and USB 3 ports. One of my USB sticks is USB 3 but I don't use it in a USB 3 port and don't have a USB 3 cable. However whenever I boot with it already connected, or plug it in, Windows nags "This device could perform faster".

I know it could but I really don't want to be told every time!

I've unset the "Tell me if this device could perform faster" option in Device Manager / USB Controller / Advanced dialog box. Makes no difference. I've set the USB 3 monitor in Notification Area Icons to "Hide icon and notifications", but still it pops up.

Is there any way of actually stopping it happening? Perhaps by inhibiting this USB 3 monitor - if I could find out how to.

Tony
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 07-Apr-12 14:18:18
Print Post

Re: Win 7 nag - This device can perform faster...

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

that USB nonsense has been around since at least XP. MS only suggest turning things off which you've done. Another windows unfixed bug.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User SamsonUK
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Apr-12 11:55:17
Print Post

Have you tried checking the box for USB errors and see if it still happens?

It is annoying, like most MS popups. I've never understood why they just can't have an option in the popup to tick to say stop hassling me about this particular message.

There is a way of turning on or off all notifications, see here. Not tried it though, so don't know how effective it is.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Apr-12 12:19:29
Print Post

[re: SamsonUK] [link to this post]

I don't want to turn off all balloons, that's overkill. I've already turned off the notifications from the USB 3 monitor, but it seems to ignore me. Nanny Microsoft clearly believes it knows best. If I could track down the USB3 Monitor Service - if there is such a thing - I would try disabling it.

The pop-up doesn't give me a way to any further details, or to tell it not to keep bothering me.

Frustrating.

Tony
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Apr-12 14:36:54
Print Post

Does USBDeview throw any light on the situation?
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Apr-12 18:27:46
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

Thanks, an interesting piece of software, but of no avail in this situation I'm sorry to say. It tells me it's a USB3 device on a USB2 connection. But I know that already.

Tony
  Print Thread

Jump to