Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 02-Apr-12 16:26:13
Print Post

Defrag improves broadband speed?

[link to this post]

I was given an old Sony laptop by a friend to see if I could get it to go faster - it was freezing and refusing to respond for ages etc. Anyway I defragged it and got rid of all the cookies etc. He now swears that his broadband speed is much faster (BT ADSL, not Infinity). No stats available before and after, but I was just wondering if what I did can affect braodband speeds like that.

Dell Studio 15 with Win7 64bit and 4GB RAM
IE9 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Apr-12 16:52:31
Print Post

Re: Defrag improves broadband speed?

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

Yes it can (improve web browsing responsiveness), because the browser cache can become fragmented - defragging defrags the browser cache - browser cache read quicker, bob is your uncle, web browsing goes faster.

I noticed this a couple of years ago, firefox seems to be more prone to effects of a heavily fragmented browser cache than others.

This fact has not escaped diskeeper corporation either who used that claim as a marketing segment a few months ago.

But actually improving your ADSL throughput, no, of course not smile

Edited by Pipexer (Mon 02-Apr-12 16:54:42)

Standard User techguy
(committed) Mon 02-Apr-12 18:02:21
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Defragging will improve overall system responsiveness because it reduces the random seek operations the hard disk has to perform (where the heads dart about over the spinning platters looking for file fragments)

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen Lite 8000
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Tue 03-Apr-12 00:45:58
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

Also the CPU load is reduced, allowing for slicker operation.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2012

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Interviewer: ”Is that a bad thing?”

Scottish Labour politician: “No, but they are doing it deliberately.”
  Print Thread

Jump to