Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 04-Apr-12 16:37:53
Print Post

XP and SP3

[link to this post]

Please see my post above first. I forgot that I hadn't checked his Windows Updates so I was round there today and saw that SP3 wasn't installed. I did the deed (took ages) and lo and behold 68 High Priority updates appeared! I just wonder how many XP users out there aren't getting updates because they don't have SP3. Some of the ones that came through look pretty important to me, but I'm no expert.

Dell Studio 15 with Win7 64bit and 4GB RAM
IE9 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Apr-12 16:50:19
Print Post

Re: XP and SP3

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

I think it's more a question of SP3 needing further updates. I suspect many or all of the 68 will be connected with the post-SP3 system state.

Tony
Standard User Zadeks
(committed) Wed 04-Apr-12 17:09:57
Print Post

Support for XP SP2 has ended, hence the lack of updates.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Apr-12 19:25:35
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zadeks:
Support for XP SP2 has ended, hence the lack of updates.

Yes, all updates now need SP3 as a minimum.

SP3 was released in June 2008, nearly FOUR years ago which is an eternity in IT terms. Almost no reason for any XP system to not have SP3.

Updates to XP SP3 stop on 08/04/2014 which depending on your view could be 8th April, or 4th Aug 2014
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?ln=en-gb&c2=...

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Apr-12 21:10:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by GeoffB:
I just wonder how many XP users out there aren't getting updates because they don't have SP3. Some of the ones that came through look pretty important to me, but I'm no expert.

Probably a few! A lot of corporations and enterprise networks were quite late to get onto SP3 too (but SP2 going out of support gave most of them a kick up the backside). Needless to say, their own fault if ramifications occur from not updating.

Running SP2 is a must, chances are you'll *probably* be OK if you fail to upgrade to SP3 from SP2, security wise.

Jump to