Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-Apr-12 11:04:55
Print Post

Excel Currency format

[link to this post]

I am currently helping a friend to do some accounts for his elderly mother's investments at the end of the tax year. She has about a dozen unit trusts inherited from her husband and they were all valued at strange prices on April 5th (i.e. one was 34.373p per unit). When I get to the end of the totals column (£1634.56) and add this to the other assets (£23874.34) I get the pence column adding up to 91p - even I can add up that 56 and 34 are 90, so I assume that the fractional units in the investments column are being adjusted somehow. Of course, I can change this manually, but I can't find anywhere how to force a spreadsheet to keep currency format and add two subtotals as they appear, rather than re-calculating the cells.

Dell Studio 15 with Win7 64bit and 4GB RAM
IE9 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 07-Apr-12 11:36:55
Print Post

Re: Excel Currency format

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

It looks as format on the number of decimal places is the culprit.

Hope these two links can help;

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-display...

http://www.addictivetips.com/microsoft-office/excel-...
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Sat 07-Apr-12 14:02:40
Print Post

I think the problem is that the displayed row results, value x quantity, is being rounded for display but not for summation.

I suggest you envelop the 'value x quantity formula inside rounding function, i.e. round(value*quantity,2). This seems to produce in the correct result.

Tony

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Mikey2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Apr-12 21:03:41
Print Post

As you state Excel is adding up the actual figures, to show the totals as displayed, you need to set the workbook to do this.

On Excel 2010, go to File - Options - Advanced and scroll down to "When calculating this workbook" and click on the "set precision as displayed" and OK out.

Mike
If you have to swallow a frog, try not to think about it. If you have to swallow two frogs, don't swallow the smaller one first.
  Print Thread

Jump to