Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Apr-12 22:19:07
Print Post

Anyone move XP Pro from Dual core to i7 hardware?

[link to this post]

Toying with the idea of moving my XP Pro SP3 from a Core 2 duo to an i7 platform. Has anyone tried this or is it full of problems? Have my XP set up and backed up just the way I like it and dont really want to spend a couple of days re-installing applications and setting the OS up just the way I like it.

Will XP Pro even support i7? Thoughts. Windows 7 not an option at the moment.

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Variety LLU
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 09-Apr-12 22:29:24
Print Post

Re: Anyone move XP Pro from Dual core to i7 hardware?

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

lmgtfy
However you may need to slipstream service pack 3 into the installation so that the install can deal with more modern drives etc. Just a note though XP 32 bit is not going to deal with Multi Core applications as well as Win 7 and memory usage will also be limited. XP comes with liabilities being a 10 year old OS.

______________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Apr-12 22:31:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by Banger:
Toying with the idea of moving my XP Pro SP3 from a Core 2 duo to an i7 platform. Has anyone tried this or is it full of problems? Have my XP set up and backed up just the way I like it and dont really want to spend a couple of days re-installing applications and setting the OS up just the way I like it.

You'll need to reinstall from scratch whatever happens.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Apr-12 22:33:31
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

As well as SP3, it's likely that the relevant SATA drivers will need to be slipstreamed. This can be achieved using nLite.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Apr-12 22:39:45
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Deadbeat:

You'll need to reinstall from scratch whatever happens.

I was afraid someone would say that. Cant even do a repair install as it mucks up IE8 from what I have read. My backup program Eaeus 4 has recover to dissimilar hardware and has a dialog to add drivers but dont know how effective it is.

Tim
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Apr-12 22:44:52
Print Post

I find that repair installations rarely work where major hardware changes are in effect. They may seem to, but it usually ends in tears before bedtime.

If you need to use nLite and don't want to install DotNet, give me a shout. If you're unsure about slipstreaming, let me know what flavour of XP you have (It has to be retail as any OEM version will be tied to the current hardware) and the make/model of motherboard and I'll do it for you.

Edited by Deadbeat (Mon 09-Apr-12 22:47:24)

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Apr-12 22:53:40
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

Thanks. Haven't got the hardware as I was really weighing up the possibilities. This link is what set me off in the re-deploying to different hardware train of thought.

Tim
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Apr-12 00:38:16
Print Post

There is a remote chance you will get away with it. I got away with Pentium 4 -> Core 2 Quad with XP.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User pcologist
(newbie) Tue 10-Apr-12 07:05:38
Print Post

It will work the processor is not tied to an operating system, There will obviously be some degradation using an i7 processor with an obsolete operating system. As XP has a total limitation to 4 processors and as the i7 is a quad processor but it simulates an extra processor per core thus giving a total of 8 processors [4 physical and 4 virtual].
It will require a full install of XP preferably with slip streamed drivers however you could load drivers at the pre install with a floppy or USB stick enabling the BIOS to allow this. Be aware that you may have to play about with sound and Intel video drivers and there will be a RAM limit of 3GB. But with a little tweaking I am sure you can get XP to run fine. Have you thought of an i5 processor which is quicker than the i7 but is a true quad core instead of a simulated 8?
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Apr-12 08:29:33
Print Post

Thanks. Haven't got the hardware as I was really weighing up the possibilities. This link is what set me off in the re-deploying to different hardware train of thought.

It may well work but I certainly wouldn't recommend it.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to