Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RiffRaff
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Apr-12 12:11:49
Print Post

Windows Media Centre, Freeview, 18th April Switchover,

[link to this post]

If you have the most up to date version of Windows Media Centre, in Windows 7, and use it to watch Freeview with whatever DVB hardware you may have inside your computer, and find that following retuning on or after 18th April, you no longer have any channels at all, please post here. Of particurlar interest is if you are inside the Crystal Palace transmitter region.

Note that the hardware you use must be solely using the Windows Media Centre and not the manufacturers own software.

O2 Home Broadband, Phone, Mobile
Pssst; O2's Broadband service has gone downhill fast in 2012, look elsewhere - I am!

Edited by RiffRaff (Fri 20-Apr-12 12:12:58)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Apr-12 13:33:51
Print Post

Re: Windows Media Centre, Freeview, 18th April Switchover,

[re: RiffRaff] [link to this post]

I could never get WMC to work with my built-in TV tuner in my MCPC so I installed some free tuner packages, AVS TV Box & MediaPortal.

I don't use it often but 2 years ago I could tune OK to Hannington (South area). More recently I cannot get any digital stations; I guess since South area went digital. Though I could get the London area analogue stations which disappeared completely on April 18th.

Now I cannot tune to neither Hannington nor Crystal Palace transmitters using an indoor aerial (my house TVs are tuned to Crystal Palace using an outdoor aerial). So I've given up using the PC's TV tuner and just use the online TV Catch-up services.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User kleh
(newbie) Mon 23-Apr-12 22:39:15
Print Post

[re: RiffRaff] [link to this post]

I have three Win7 Media Centre PCs, and live a couple of miles from the Crystal Palace transmitter. All PCs retuned fine on 4th. April, but none have functioned since 18th. April. When attempting to find channels, I just get the spinning "busy" circle, and Media Center hangs, and can only be stopped with the Task Manager. I have reported this to Microsoft at https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/feedback/deta... and would strongly urge anyone else with this problem also to record it at the Microsoft Connect website. kleh.

Edited by kleh (Mon 23-Apr-12 22:41:48)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Apr-12 23:01:43
Print Post

[re: kleh] [link to this post]

Doubt it is WMC software. Am getting same issues with other tuner software. More likely it's the TV tuners themselves.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Apr-12 23:07:16
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Some old FreeView boxes don't work with the new channels because they can't receive the frequencies used. It's quite possible that the same is true for older computer cards.
Standard User kleh
(newbie) Mon 23-Apr-12 23:33:41
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I have tuners from four different manufacturers,. I think it is too much of a coincidence that they are all having an identical problem.
Standard User kleh
(newbie) Mon 23-Apr-12 23:35:48
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

One of my tuners is in a PC which is less than one month old, so age is very unlikely to be the problem. I have submitted a support call to the manufacturer.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 23-Apr-12 23:38:16
Print Post

[re: kleh] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kleh:
I think it is too much of a coincidence that they are all having an identical problem.
Not necessarily.

How many different chipsets are in there?

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Apr-12 00:27:24
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

You've given me an idea smile

Just notice that the muliplexes' channels have changed pre- & post- switch-over:
  • Crystal Palace: From 22, 25, 28, 29, 32, 34 to 22, 23, 25, 26, 28, 30
  • Hannington: From 40, 41, 43, 44, 46, 50 to 39, 41, 43, 44, 45, 47
and I think some the frequencies within them may have changed slightly.

So I now think that the problem is with the pre-set data held within these software packages that define the channels. I know where this is with my installed tuner packages so I'm going to play with those. I don't know where this is held for WMC.

Standard User kleh
(newbie) Tue 24-Apr-12 18:44:26
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

At least two different chipsets.
One of the tuners is for DVB-T2.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to