Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User WatchMan
(member) Mon 23-Apr-12 08:31:18
Print Post

Windows 8 Consumer Preview

[link to this post]

Has anyone tried to burn Windows 8 Consumer Preview ISO 64 bit to disc only to discover that it doesn't work? I have now completed 6 downloads via Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox, even using Download Manager Free to ensure no breaks in the streaming. I get a different SHA1 Hash to that displayed on Microsoft's website each time I test the download. I was hoping to get a preview of this before the product is released but it looks like there is something there to disuade me from trying.
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Apr-12 08:46:44
Print Post

Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview

[re: WatchMan] [link to this post]

I had no problem with that here. Downloaded the ISO and installed to a VM, then burnt a DVD and installed to my laptop.
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Apr-12 09:18:58
Print Post

You could try downloading a torrent. There must be plenty about.

“If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is compromise” - Robert Fritz
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Apr-12 16:23:20
Print Post

Obvious suggestion would be to try the 32bit then... It's possible it's hardware compatability.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User WatchMan
(member) Mon 23-Apr-12 21:51:20
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In what sense do you mean 'Hardware compatability'? My current system is running Windows 7 64bit so why would it not run Windows 8 64bit?
Standard User WatchMan
(committed) Mon 23-Apr-12 21:53:00
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

I tried this through Vuze but no such luck!!
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Apr-12 21:58:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by WatchMan:
My current system is running Windows 7 64bit so why would it not run Windows 8 64bit?

Because they are different operating systems? tongue

It's possible the d/l is corrupt as you say, I had this when I downloaded it at work, brought it home, and couldn't make a bootable USB flash disk from it, checksums came out wrong. Re-downloaded at home and it was fine - maybe wait a couple of days and try again.

Zen 8000 Pro
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 24-Apr-12 10:06:50
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

[[/quote]
Because they are different operating systems? tongue

Surely it is the MB, CPU and hardware in the computer that determines whether an operating system is compatible with it. That is why I asked what difference it should make, especially as Windows 7 64bit successfully runs on that build.

I have attempted 6 downloads and these have had a different SHA1 Hash to that shown on the Microsoft download page. The first one was burned to disk before I realised the SHA1 was incorrect, and it returned an error when tested in VirtualBox. I used Mozilla for three of these downloads after the Internet Explorer downloads returned incorrect SHA1 results. I also heeded the advice of a contributor to the Microsoft forums and tried to download through Free Download Manager but this also returned an incorrect SHA1. These downloads were performed separately on a laptop running Vista 32bit and two different desktop computers, one running XP Pro 32bit and the other running Windows 7 Pro 64bit. It is the Windows 7 computer I am hoping to run the Consumer Preview on. Incidentally, you may have gathered from this that I am downloading the ISO version having already confirmed that my computer has passed the Setup test. No-one can say I haven't tried!!!

Thanks for your suggestions, please keep them rolling in.
Standard User WatchMan
(committed) Tue 24-Apr-12 10:13:21
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Sorry about that, the Anonymous reply is mine. I somehow timed out of this thread before I clicked the Continue button.
  Print Thread

Jump to