Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Littleseen
(regular) Fri 18-May-12 16:40:46
Print Post

Google hijacks dedicated webpage

[link to this post]

Until today I have used Google Chrome with good satisfaction. No more. I had the browser set to open at Sky News Home Page. Google has hijacked this. It now opens to a Google screen with four main tabs. This cannot be altered in tools. Of course I can jump from the new and unalterable Google opening-page to any Favourite. But only if I jump.

It cannot any longer be made to open at the browser window I had specified. Copy-paste will not set my desired opening page.

Easy answer and done it --- uninstall Google Chrome and go back to Internet Explorer. Problem solved.

Obscurity is a comfortable cloak
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-May-12 17:14:53
Print Post

Re: Google hijacks dedicated webpage

[re: Littleseen] [link to this post]

Must have been using a really old version then...

Follow me on Twitter. Be* My Blog
Moderator Sadoldman
(moderator) Fri 18-May-12 17:26:10
Print Post

My Chrome has just started opening with the new tab setting instead of my iGoogle home page, I just went into setting and in the option "open page at start up" I copied the url of my IGoogle and it seems to work fine.

Must be a new option as I don't think it was like that before....Google just won't leave well enough alone.smile

Sadoldman

Just a tad sad..a wee bit old...wink

don@thinkbroadband.com
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-May-12 18:24:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by Littleseen:
and go back to Internet Explorer.

Yuck! You have Firefox and Apple's Safari to choose from too, Safari also uses the same web engine as Chrome (webkit) so you might like them better than IE.

James - be* pro - 16.8 or 17.2mbps BQM
No FTTC cabinet yet (originally Mar 2011) THFB PCP 5 - hope for 21st May to 1 June !
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Fri 18-May-12 18:28:34
Print Post

[re: Sadoldman] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Sadoldman:
Google just won't leave well enough alone.smile

What do you think a search engine does when you're not using it? tongue

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-May-12 23:37:20
Print Post

My Chrome has just started opening with the new tab setting instead of my iGoogle home page, I just went into setting and in the option "open page at start up" I copied the url of my IGoogle and it seems to work fine.

Must be a new option as I don't think it was like that before....Google just won't leave well enough alone.smile

new tab setting? I been using Comodo Dragon for a while now, which uses the same source code as chrome. I presume you mean the quick dial type thing. that been happening for a few versions.

It can be changed.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Moderator Sadoldman
(moderator) Sat 19-May-12 07:28:24
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
new tab setting? I been using Comodo Dragon for a while now, which uses the same source code as chrome. I presume you mean the quick dial type thing. that been happening for a few versions.

It can be changed.

Don't think I mean that. Up until recently when I opened my browser it opened my home page iGoogle. In the last few days it opened a "new tab" tab so that I had to click the home button to get iGoogle.

I checked in settings and they offer "what page at start up" so I can only assume that if you do not indicate what page you want it will just give the new tab option. All I can remember in the past is indicating my home page.

Sadoldman

don@thinkbroadband.com
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Moderator Sadoldman
(moderator) Sat 19-May-12 07:30:52
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by camieabz:
What do you think a search engine does when you're not using it? tongue

Well....mine goes to a little round house I provided on my space bar.smile

Sadoldman

don@thinkbroadband.com
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-May-12 09:30:36
Print Post

Don't think I mean that. Up until recently when I opened my browser it opened my home page iGoogle. In the last few days it opened a "new tab" tab so that I had to click the home button to get iGoogle.

I checked in settings and they offer "what page at start up" so I can only assume that if you do not indicate what page you want it will just give the new tab option. All I can remember in the past is indicating my home page.

Ah, I see, mine comes up with the comodo webpage when it starts up, I keep meaning to change it, but can't be bothered, and even if I do, what do I change it to?

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-May-12 13:50:06
Print Post

I have had that happen to me a few times recently using IE9. That it is happening across a range of browsers tends to point the finger at some resource shared or accessed by all the affected browsers.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
  Print Thread

Jump to