Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 31-May-12 14:25:14
Print Post

Microsoft Office

[link to this post]

Hi

I am getting a new laptop and thinking of getting Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010.

I however have a licence for Microsoft Office 2007 Professional from my old laptop which I can use since selling the old laptop. Is there any benefit in getting the 2010 version or is it a waste of money. It is because I have a desktop which has Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010 and will be transferring docs from one machine to the other. Just using it for word docs mainly.

Thank you.
Standard User Malwaremike
(member) Thu 31-May-12 14:47:54
Print Post

Re: Microsoft Office

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Have you considered OpenOffice? Most students I know use it because it's free, and it handles Word docs perfectly well.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 31-May-12 14:53:57
Print Post

Use the old licence and just make sure that you always use the appropriate "save as" choice to ensure compatibility.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User herbgold
(member) Thu 31-May-12 17:57:02
Print Post

The advantage for me of MS Office 2010 over 2007 is that it's configurable - you can move things around from one ribbon to another. When I write an essay for my history course I need to footnote every quote, so I've moved "insert footnote" to the home ribbon. V useful.
Standard User philippercival
(experienced) Fri 01-Jun-12 12:25:36
Print Post

Open Office is excellent is you need a full suite.

Also consider the free version of MS Office 2010 (starter), which came pre-loaded on a laptop I bought recently for someone else. see here for further details. Despite the fact that it claims lots of features have been disabled it is certainly good enough for most people who only need Word and Excel.

Standard User greenglide
(member) Fri 01-Jun-12 14:04:12
Print Post

Who are you planning on purchasing the Home and Student version from?

Software4students using to do some amazing deals for anyone who is, "owns" or teaches a schoolchild or student (all levels of schools, colleges, universities etc) but, unfortunately MS have now withdrawn the super deals frown

Can stil get Office 2007 Professional licensed for two machines (should be desktop & laptop) for £69.95 and Office 2010 for University Students for £79.95 and Home & Student (3 licence) for £94.95.

If you work for a large company with a site licence from MS deals whereby you can get fully licenced copies for use at home for about £9.95 are available - this is where my copy of Office Professional 2010 came from smile

It is a real shame about the withdrawal of the Software4students offers though as you could get Win 7 upgrade licences from them as well frown

EDIT:- Just noticed that the Windows 7 upgrades are still available - 64 bit Professional for £43.50

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!

Edited by greenglide (Fri 01-Jun-12 14:06:09)

Standard User Nick_Russell
(experienced) Fri 01-Jun-12 14:47:50
Print Post

The trouble is Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010 does not include Outlook or Access - do you need these?

You can install MS Office 2007 on your new machine but you should uninstall it from your old machine. You cannot have it on two main machines. I am not sure of the licensing but I think you can install it on two machines if they cannot be used at the same time, e.g. one at work and one at home.

Nick

Plusnet Plusnet Pro 21CN Netgear DGND3300v2 router
Windows XP Pro SP3
Standard User cavillas
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Jun-12 17:25:44
Print Post

[re: Nick_Russell] [link to this post]

If you need an Outlook type applications then EM Clent is certainly very good. The free version allows only2 email accounts but paying for it then youn have no limits. It is certainly much cheaper if you want to buy it, I find the free versinmore than adequate.

Alf
------------------------------------
smile IDNET Happiness Online smile
I am in no way employed or connected with IDnet other than as a customer.

There are 11 kinds of people, those who understand binary, those who don't and those who don't care.
Standard User RiffRaff
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Jun-12 19:28:56
Print Post

[re: Nick_Russell] [link to this post]

Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Plus, which includes Access, Outlook and Publisher is available from Software4students for £69.95, or £79.95 for the digital version plus an admin fee (if the purchase is less than £100) which was around £1.50 when i purchased which was not that long ago. This includes one license key that works on two seperate computers.

http://www.software4students.co.uk/Microsoft_Office_...

Also worth pointing out that when purchasing this as a student, you don't need to be doing any Microsoft accredited courses to qualify for this; you only need to be a student at whichever organisation it is, you don't actually even need to be the student, you can be a family member of the student,

http://www.software4students.co.uk/Software4Students...

though the same customer cannot purchase more than one identical product afaik. As long as your organisation is on the software4students database it's fine. If the organisation is not on the database you can request it be added I think.

This differs from other companies, such as Adobe for example, where you do need to be doing an Adobe specific accredited course to qualify for the discount for Adobe software.

Rules are changing soon afaik so if you're going to buy, buy soon.

Full inventory of included programs in Professional Plus:
• Microsoft Word 2010
• Microsoft Outlook 2010
• Microsoft PowerPoint 2010
• Microsoft Excel 2010
• Microsoft Access 2010
• Microsoft InfoPath 2010
• Microsoft Communicator
• Microsoft Publisher 2010
• Microsoft OneNote 2010
• Microsoft SharePoint Workspace 2010
• Microsoft Office Web Apps
Integrated solution capabilities like OfficeLive.com

O2 Home Broadband, Phone, Mobile
Pssst; O2's Broadband service has gone downhill fast in 2012, look elsewhere - I am!

Edited by RiffRaff (Wed 06-Jun-12 22:12:30)

Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Jun-12 20:24:10
Print Post

[re: RiffRaff] [link to this post]

I think that Microsoft has recently ended these deals.

“If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is compromise” - Robert Fritz
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to