Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Jun-12 20:21:29
Print Post

Printer Sharing - XP

[link to this post]

I have a number of XP computers (various versions - home, professional, with or without Services Packs, etc) and have always had little difficulty in making printer sharing work OK - until now frown)

My particular problem now is that a Lexmark printer on a Samsung Netbook (Windows XP Home, Service Pack 3, fully updated) can not be accessed by two other computers running XP Professional, Service Pack 3.

In both cases the networked printer can be 'seen', but any attempt to connect to it asks for the password for a greyed out Guest Account.

What am I missing, please?

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet (Aquiss) - DrayTek Vigor 2600
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 01-Jun-12 21:17:17
Print Post

Re: Printer Sharing - XP

[re: Sandgrounder] [link to this post]

In the first instance try setting the account names on the computer the same and the passwords the same. This should fix it. There are other solutions but this is often the best.

So at the very least you try connecting to that printer using an account on Computer A that exists on Computer B and has the same password. This doesn't have to be done both ways but is recommended.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Jun-12 21:40:10
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Thanks for the response.

I have checked that and here lies another problem.

The computer with the printer is used with account 'Admin' which has administrative rights.
There is an account 'administator' which I am unable to access.

One of the clients is also used as 'Admin' with the same password and administrative rights ....
.... and the Administrator account on this computer is also not accessible.

The other client is run as 'Administrator' (with the same password) and creating a new account 'Admin' does not help.

All are in the same Workgroup - Home

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet (Aquiss) - DrayTek Vigor 2600

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 01-Jun-12 21:53:44
Print Post

[re: Sandgrounder] [link to this post]

Disclaimer: File and Print Sharing issues on Windows XP are extremely vast, many 3rd party apps inadvertently [censored] it up. So I might be sending you down the wrong path here!

Ensure the system time is correct on all machines.

Try enabling the guest account on the computer that is sharing the printer, and try again.

If not, in Accessories, run the network setup wizard (or whatever it's called), click next next next through it (remembering to change the workgroup name from MSHOME back to WORKGROUP), reboot the machine, and try once again.

Zen 8000 Pro

Edited by Pipexer (Fri 01-Jun-12 21:54:17)

Print Thread

Jump to