Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User scopio
(newbie) Wed 20-Jun-12 22:20:21
Print Post

How can I uninstall Windows 7 Pro from the C drive?

[link to this post]

I am getting rid of a laptop (Dell Inspiron 1545) which has windows 7 Pro that I clean installed. How can I wipe the disk including windows 7 pro, so that the C Drive (hdd) is empty of the OS so that I can retain the license and reinstall in another pc?
I have tried to wipe the disk with DBAN 2.2.6 (Beta) without success, it keeps coming up with a fatal error when using the "autonuke" command and it will not proceed any further when I press F10 in the "Enter" command, tried Active@Kill and wiped all my personal data but not the OS and WipeDisk which cannot be used as it will only wipe the data and needs Windows, it does not work!
I do not wish to get rid of the laptop with the OS still installed in the HDD, so basically I want to uninstall Windows!!
Like I said DBAN does not work and DiskWipe and Active@Kill use Windows, so the C drive cannot be wiped!
Any suggestions in wiping the C Drive of all its contents would be most welcome!
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Jun-12 22:23:58
Print Post

Re: How can I uninstall Windows 7 Pro from the C drive?

[re: scopio] [link to this post]

How can I wipe the disk including windows 7 pro, so that the C Drive (hdd) is empty of the OS so that I can retain the license and reinstall in another pc?
You can easily wipe the disk, but you can't retain the license and reinstall (unless you installed a retail version of Windows 7 yourself). The OS supplied with Dells is an OEM version that is specific to the machine it is sold with.
Standard User scopio
(newbie) Wed 20-Jun-12 22:44:07
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AEP:
How can I wipe the disk including windows 7 pro, so that the C Drive (hdd) is empty of the OS so that I can retain the license and reinstall in another pc?
You can easily wipe the disk, but you can't retain the license and reinstall (unless you installed a retail version of Windows 7 yourself). The OS supplied with Dells is an OEM version that is specific to the machine it is sold with.

That is what I meant " I installed the OS myself" it is a retail version!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Jun-12 22:50:53
Print Post

The DBAN error you are probably having is due to it crashing out when it sees your laptop multi card reader. If you can temporalily disable this in the BIOS, DBAN will probably then work.

Anyway, to wipe Windows 7...

Whack the Windows 7 installation disk in. Proceed to "install windows", and then it will ask you what drive you want to install Windows on. At that point, click advanced and delete the partitions, the partitions will then be deleted.

To securely wipe the laptop, I would recommend burning an Ultimate Boot CD ISO and running one of the disk wipe utilities included in that, there's quite a few included on it.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User scopio
(learned) Wed 20-Jun-12 23:03:53
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
The DBAN error you are probably having is due to it crashing out when it sees your laptop multi card reader. If you can temporalily disable this in the BIOS, DBAN will probably then work.

I did disabled and then unistalled the card reader in Device Manager, but I did not go into the BIOS to disable it. I shall try by disableing the card reader in the BIOS next and try DBAN again. If that dosen't work I will then try your second suggestion using the Windows 7 installation disk.

Will post back whatever the results. Thanks.
Standard User scopio
(learned) Thu 21-Jun-12 00:23:47
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
Anyway, to wipe Windows 7...

Whack the Windows 7 installation disk in. Proceed to "install windows", and then it will ask you what drive you want to install Windows on. At that point, click advanced and delete the partitions, the partitions will then be deleted.

After putting in the 1indows 7 installation disk in, "Proceed to "install windows", and then it will ask you what drive you want to install Windows on. At that point, click advanced and delete the partitions, the partitions will then be deleted."

Restarted the pc and got the message " No bootable devices..." Does this means Windows is no longer installed in the pc?
Standard User john2007
(legend) Thu 21-Jun-12 09:59:52
Print Post

Arguable. It's still there, just not so easily accessible.

All removing a partition does is zero pointers to where on the disk the partition is stored.

All your files will also still be potentially accessible.

You need to zero the drive as Pipexer said.
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Thu 21-Jun-12 10:48:39
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Or, of course, simply install Windows from scratch which will overwrite the data sufficiently to prevent recovery unless somebody wants to spend years doing it.

As long as you dont put the licence key in your retail version of windows is "no longer" on the PC.

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload ON THE LINE THAT SKY COULD ONLY PROVIDE 15,255 DOWN AND 800 UP ON!!!,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jun-12 12:09:01
Print Post

http://falconfour.wordpress.com/2011/03/12/falconfou...
Standard User scopio
(learned) Thu 21-Jun-12 14:13:12
Print Post

Thanks to all for you suggestions and advice.
What I have been able to achieve so far;
Just to clarify, as far as DBAN is concerned, it did not go through its paces;
a. I tried to run the “autonuke” command but it gave the fatal errors *ERROR /dev/sdb (process crash)
*ERROR /dev/sdb (process crash)
Press and hold the power button down to shut down.
b. I tried to run the “interactive” command by pressing ENTER but came up with;
*[????] Unrecognised Device
[wipe] ATA Disk WDC WD… (name of the hard drive)
c. When I pressed the F10 key to continue, it did nothing, as if the key was disabled!
d. Shut down and restarted the pc, Windows was still fully functional!
Disabled the card reader in Device Manager and went through the whole DBAN process again, unsuccessful! Uninstalled the card reader in Device Manager and went through the whole DBAN process again, unsuccessful again!
The BIOS in the Dell Inspiron 1545, is not very help full and comprehensive as for example Phoenix etc. to find the card reader, unless it is named as “Module Bay” in the System Configuration under Miscellaneous Devices! No mention of a card reader as such!
As far as the data is concerned I did run Active@kill to over write the data with 0’s.
1. Run Active@Kill twice, whilst Windows was still fully functional, to wipe all data in the C drive with one pass of “o”, as I used the freebie version.
2. Did as Pipexer suggested, “Whack the Windows 7 installation disk in. Proceed to "install windows", and then it will ask you what drive you want to install Windows on. At that point, click advanced and delete the partitions, the partitions will then be deleted.”
3. That is as the laptop is at the moment!
4. Tried running DBAN again, but it will not boot, the pc, of course, will not recognise it is in the drive! To run any other utility I would probably have to reinstall Windows again which I’d rather not do!
Full message on the screen as it is;
“No bootable devices—strike F1 to retry boot. F2 for set up utility. Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics.”
So this is where I am Now with the pc!
I’ll try to download FalconFour’s Ultimate Boot CD/USB 4.5
As Deadbeat suggests and try and run it if it is bootable!
I do have plenty of time in trying all these out and learn from the experience and hopefully others will do too.
Keep your comments coming.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to