Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User CHRISMUR
(newbie) Thu 21-Jun-12 18:19:16
Print Post

BROADBAND CONNECTION IS STOPPING COMPUTER FROM STARTING UP

[link to this post]

"Hello", This may not be the correct section to post this enquiry in [?] - But it is about My Computer which is running Windows 7 Home Premium:

Please excuse My lack of correct Computer Terminology - I am a complete `Novice` in Computing having come to it at a very late Age - ALL that I have taught Myself to do is basically Browsing the Internet and Emailing.

This Problem has recently started - I have been using My Computer for about 3 Years and I am sure that I have not done anything that would have changed any `Settings` regarding the Computer and Router connections etc.

When My Computer tries to Start Up it goes through the usual process after I enter My Password and the Screen shows all of the Program Icons.

BUT - on the Broadband / Internet Access Icon on the Bottom of the Screen there is the circular / turning display that you usually get for a couple of Seconds when the Computer is connecting to the Router / Internet Access - this does not ever show the Internet Access has been established.

This Stops any use of the Computer - including the Restart facility - I have had to actually Turn Off the Computer by turning off the Power - obviously I know that this is NOT a desirable situation to be in.

The Computer and Router are connected with an Ethernet Cable - No wireless access is used.

I decided to try the Start Up process with the Router Turned Off - the Computer Started Up correctly.

When I then Turned On the Router after perhaps 30 Seconds the Broadband / Internet Access Icon showed that Internet Access had been established - I am assuming that the approximately 30 Seconds wait was mainly due to the Router `Booting Up`.

I have established that the Computer will NOT Start Up correctly with the Router turned On - I have to ensure that the Router is OFF - Turn On the Computer and after it Starts Up I then Turn On the Router which then establishes the Internet Connection after it `Boots Up`.

I have used the Router by connecting a Laptop to the Ethernet Cable - the Laptop started up correctly - which I assume showed that this is NOT a Router Problem ?

Although I know that I have NOT altered any `Settings` for the Computer and Router could it be that something has changed and is Stopping the Internet Accessing - which in turn Stops the Computer from Starting Up ?

I cannot quite understand why the Internet Access / Router Accessing would Stop the Computer from being used - including not even being able to Restart or Shut Down ?

I would really appreciate any suggestions Please - although I may not be Computer Literate enough to answer Technical Questions - I will try to carry out any suggestions - could these be `Step by Step` Instructions Please.

I know that I may just have to Live With this situation - as anything `Too Technical` - Or something where a slight error by ME could compromise the Computer should NOT be attempted by Me because of My lack of knowledge in Computing.

Regards,

Chris
Standard User wanapoo
(committed) Thu 21-Jun-12 19:19:33
Print Post

Re: BROADBAND CONNECTION IS STOPPING COMPUTER FROM STARTING

[re: CHRISMUR] [link to this post]

This one's difficult diagnose, plus I dont use Windows 7 as my old software I use all the time doesn't run properly on it.

My instinct says it could be a microsoft update which has changed the driver for one of there own generic versions, and it's waiting for a IPv6 address. This is only a guess.

So the usual procedure is to find out who made the motherboard/ethernet controller, download and install the latest driver from the manufacturer.

Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Thu 21-Jun-12 19:59:48
Print Post

Chris,

If you go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings > right click and then select Disable can you then shut down the Win7 pc normally with the router still powered on? If so this might suggest that there is a conflict between the enabled network adapter and the operating system...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User CHRISMUR
(newbie) Thu 21-Jun-12 22:02:29
Print Post

[re: wanapoo] [link to this post]

"Hello wanapoo",

Thanks very much for your message and suggestion - I have looked at the Microsoft Updates History for My Computer - I realise that the description for an Update might NOT refer to something that it will actually affect - But I don`t think that I ever read about any Update that concerned the Internet Accessing for My Computer / Windows 7.

Updates are ONLY Downloaded after I view the items and then Download and Install them manually - I don`t have Automatic Updating enabled.

I hope that You won`t mind if I wait to see if there are any further suggestions before carrying out what You suggested about the Driver - Before that I will need to know What exactly would I be looking for on the ACER Downloads website ?

I realise that I would be looking for specifically for a Driver for My Computer Model which is the ACER ASPIRE X3810 - BUT - What would the Driver that You suggested be called ?

Can I take it that this could actually cause further problems on My Computer IF I was to accidentally choose / Download the wrong Driver - ?

My problem would be how to be CERTAIN that I was Downloading the right one.

Thanks for your help with this - I really appreciate it.

Regards,

Chris
Standard User CHRISMUR
(newbie) Thu 21-Jun-12 22:14:54
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

"Hello4M2",

Thanks for your message and suggestion - Before I carry out what You described can I please clarify something:

When I start up the Computer with the Router turned OFF the Computer starts up `As Normal` - I then turn On the Router and after the Router `Boot Up` [Approx. 30 Seconds] I then see that I have Internet Access and can use My Computer as normal.

I can Shut Down the Computer with the Router still Turned On and I have done this several times to check this.

BUT I usually now Turn OFF the Router before I Shut Down the Computer JUST so that it will be OFF when I turn On the Computer the next time - otherwise I would have the problem about the Computer NOT Starting Up correctly and NOT being able to Shut Down or Restart without turning Off the Power.

As I CAN already Shut Down the Computer with the Router ON - I wanted to ask You about what You suggested - Before carrying out that procedure.

Thank You very much for your Help with this - I really appreciate it.

Regards,

Chris

Edited by CHRISMUR (Thu 21-Jun-12 23:32:45)

Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jun-12 22:32:40
Print Post

Can you substitute the ethernet cable for another one?
No LAN driver is required for the X3810 - It's provided by the OS itself. Open the "Device Manager" and see if you can "Roll Back" the current driver.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Jun-12 22:44:14
Print Post

When this happens. what do you get when you type
ipconfig /all
in a Command Prompt? Hide your name!

Is it any diff from when it doesn't happen?

In that Network and Sharing Center > Adapter settings that 4M2 suggested, click on Properties. Then highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties.

Which of Obtain IP Addy Auto or Use the Following IP Addy is ticked?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Jun-12 22:48:24
Print Post

Turning router off while PC on has same effect as Disabling the Network Adapter as 4M2 suggested. He was just trying to help you avoid powering OFF using Power Button when PC has got into a fix.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User CHRISMUR
(newbie) Thu 21-Jun-12 23:03:08
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

"Hello XRaySpex",

Thanks for explaining that - even after reading your explanation I could not see that in what He wrote - I understood the message to be asking whether I could Shut Down the Computer with the Router still turned ON.

I THOUGHT that He was suggesting that I try something which would enable Me to `Do` something that I can already `Do` - I.E. Shut Down the Computer with the Router turned On - - that is why I asked Him about this.

I have now realised that He was suggesting that I change a Setting and see if the Computer would Shut Down with the Router still turned ON - Should I still try this ?

I have tried turning Off the Router when this Computer `Not Responding` Problem exists - I THOUGHT that this would mean that the Computer would then Respond to either Restart or Shut Down - BUT it did NOT - I had to Power Off the Computer.

Thanks for your message.

Regards,

Chris

Edited by CHRISMUR (Thu 21-Jun-12 23:35:12)

Standard User CHRISMUR
(newbie) Thu 21-Jun-12 23:16:42
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
When this happens. what do you get when you type
ipconfig /all
in a Command Prompt? Hide your name!

Is it any diff from when it doesn't happen?

In that Network and Sharing Center > Adapter settings that 4M2 suggested, click on Properties. Then highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties.

Which of Obtain IP Addy Auto or Use the Following IP Addy is ticked?

"Hello again XRaySpex",

Sorry that I did not see this Post from You before the other one which I just replied to - I went to your other Post via an Email `Link` - so I saw that first.

When the Computer will NOT Start Up and the Internet Access Icon has the Circular / Turning display in front of it I cannot `Do` anything at all on the Computer - Including accessing the Start Menu to Type anything - the Computer is completely Unresponsive.

Regarding the Internet Connection Properties Display - I could NOT see ANY of the things that You asked if they were Ticked - I have taken a Screenshot but i did not know that I could NOT Post that on here [?].

While I was into the Network and Sharing Centre I used the Troubleshooter - although when the Router is turned On after the Computer has correctly started up ALL seems O.K. - I wondered if the Troubleshooter would find any Adapter Problems - It did Not.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Chris

Edited by CHRISMUR (Thu 21-Jun-12 23:29:13)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to