Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Wed 18-Jul-12 14:34:16
Print Post

How to disable this "Run As" window for my XP please??

[link to this post]

Just two days ago, my primary PC, installed with Windows XP SP4, starts displaying this new window "Run As" Pop-up that I have to chose either "Current User" or "The Following User", which is the Administrator, prior to allowing me into the Window Desktop. This is a pain as my PC used to go straight into my desktop after the PC bootuped from power-on or restart. The above same Popup will be repeated if I log-offed and switched to other accounts.
How to disable this unwanted initial "Run As" Pop-up please??
Thanks

Intel E4300 OC with 2GB RAMs,Speedtouch 585 Modem/Router and Windows XP Pro

O2 Standard ADSL2+ Broadband!
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 18-Jul-12 14:53:14
Print Post

Re: How to disable this "Run As" window for my XP please??

[re: OCdragon] [link to this post]

You need to disable the Secondary Logon service - linky

'Sir, please,' she said... 'Will you not share your wisdom with us?'
'I have no wisdom,' he told her.
'Your experiences, then?'
'They have been trivial, uninteresting, and full of error.'
Ian M. Banks - Feersum Endjinn
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Thu 19-Jul-12 17:36:44
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

Sorry about not getting back soon, but I had been trying the hints suggested in your LINK! But sadly it was a failure still!!
I disabled the Secondary Logon in my Service and re-booted my PC. The annoying "Run As" windows still pops itself up and forces me to select either a) Current User, with option to not being an Administrator, or b) The Following User, which is typically the Administrator, before it would let me to get to my Windows Desktop. This annoying "Run As" windows would pop itself up whenever a) after a power-on of my PC or c) whenever I wanted to switch to other User Accounts.
I had even tried Windows Restore back to just two days ago when I first discovered this annoying "Pop up" without success!! However I also found out that on the latest Restore-Point, I seemed to have installed a program called "LogMeIn Hamachi" on my PC without me knowing! I have checked my Windows "Installed/Remove Menu" but I could not locate this "LogMeIn" program, and as such I could NOT try removing it. So basically I am stuck and still very frustrated.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User flippery
(learned) Thu 19-Jul-12 19:15:42
Print Post

Is this your problem re Users>
http://www.howtogeek.com/?post_type=post&p=1016
Scroll down page to delete, ignore registry Hack at top.
The other program is a VPN remote Program normally for games 1 to 1
It does not have a program to remove. Unless it is causing problems just forget it.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 19-Jul-12 19:52:21
Print Post

Before you get to your Desktop and before you get that "Run As" window do you login to a particular user on the Welcome Screen (the 1st screen after boot)? Has that user become a Limited User, not an Administrator?

Otherwise, if you only have 1 User, has that user become a Limited User, not an Administrator?

Re: "LogMeIn" program: have you recently had someone outside, like a support desk, do some Remote Administration?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User flippery
(learned) Fri 20-Jul-12 08:46:52
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

Thinking about it,
The remote User addition could have come from the VPN
If you have not already got it obtain Winpatrol free edition from www.winpatrol.com. Appears as a liittle dog and will advise if any new programs being installed. You should be able to disable the VPN in Winpatrol startup tab.
Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Fri 20-Jul-12 09:21:09
Print Post

No, but thank you for your suggestion. My PC used to go straight into Windows Desktop with Admin. Right on its own immediately after power-on. If I then selected Logoff and Switch User, my Windows would display a list of all the User Accounts that I could switch to. The subsequent User I chosen, with or without Password depending on my settings, would then boot-up and get me into that particular User's Desktop without any further requesting Pop-Up windows such as this annoying "Run As" windows pop-up.

Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Fri 20-Jul-12 09:38:52
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thank you for your suggestion. I am not sure of how to check the User Right prior to booting into Windows desktop from either the initial power-on, or during switching between Users. However I am certain that there is NO CHANGE in the associated User Right immediately after I got into my Windows Desktop and stabilized. Because I could check that using "Change User Accounts" with Admin Right after I got into Windows Desktop.
Finally, I have resolved the "mysterious installation of" a program called LogMeIn issue!! My son just admitted that he had installed that program but subsequently un-installed it. That explained why I had aware the mysterious installation, and subsequently its un-installarion, of the program called LogMeIn during Windows Restore!!

However my pain still continues as The "Run As" windows still pops itself up!

Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Sat 21-Jul-12 14:43:15
Print Post

I'll try that, thank you!

Standard User flippery
(regular) Sat 21-Jul-12 22:21:20
Print Post

Do you get this pop up at any other time, such as when double clicking a program shortcut.
If you do not have shortcuts can you make from a couple of programs to try,

Edited by flippery (Sat 21-Jul-12 22:21:52)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to