Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Wed 18-Jul-12 14:34:16
Print Post

How to disable this "Run As" window for my XP please??

[link to this post]

Just two days ago, my primary PC, installed with Windows XP SP4, starts displaying this new window "Run As" Pop-up that I have to chose either "Current User" or "The Following User", which is the Administrator, prior to allowing me into the Window Desktop. This is a pain as my PC used to go straight into my desktop after the PC bootuped from power-on or restart. The above same Popup will be repeated if I log-offed and switched to other accounts.
How to disable this unwanted initial "Run As" Pop-up please??
Thanks

Intel E4300 OC with 2GB RAMs,Speedtouch 585 Modem/Router and Windows XP Pro

O2 Standard ADSL2+ Broadband!
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 18-Jul-12 14:53:14
Print Post

Re: How to disable this "Run As" window for my XP please??

[re: OCdragon] [link to this post]

You need to disable the Secondary Logon service - linky

'Sir, please,' she said... 'Will you not share your wisdom with us?'
'I have no wisdom,' he told her.
'Your experiences, then?'
'They have been trivial, uninteresting, and full of error.'
Ian M. Banks - Feersum Endjinn
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Thu 19-Jul-12 17:36:44
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

Sorry about not getting back soon, but I had been trying the hints suggested in your LINK! But sadly it was a failure still!!
I disabled the Secondary Logon in my Service and re-booted my PC. The annoying "Run As" windows still pops itself up and forces me to select either a) Current User, with option to not being an Administrator, or b) The Following User, which is typically the Administrator, before it would let me to get to my Windows Desktop. This annoying "Run As" windows would pop itself up whenever a) after a power-on of my PC or c) whenever I wanted to switch to other User Accounts.
I had even tried Windows Restore back to just two days ago when I first discovered this annoying "Pop up" without success!! However I also found out that on the latest Restore-Point, I seemed to have installed a program called "LogMeIn Hamachi" on my PC without me knowing! I have checked my Windows "Installed/Remove Menu" but I could not locate this "LogMeIn" program, and as such I could NOT try removing it. So basically I am stuck and still very frustrated.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User flippery
(learned) Thu 19-Jul-12 19:15:42
Print Post

Is this your problem re Users>
http://www.howtogeek.com/?post_type=post&p=1016
Scroll down page to delete, ignore registry Hack at top.
The other program is a VPN remote Program normally for games 1 to 1
It does not have a program to remove. Unless it is causing problems just forget it.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 19-Jul-12 19:52:21
Print Post

Before you get to your Desktop and before you get that "Run As" window do you login to a particular user on the Welcome Screen (the 1st screen after boot)? Has that user become a Limited User, not an Administrator?

Otherwise, if you only have 1 User, has that user become a Limited User, not an Administrator?

Re: "LogMeIn" program: have you recently had someone outside, like a support desk, do some Remote Administration?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User flippery
(learned) Fri 20-Jul-12 08:46:52
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

Thinking about it,
The remote User addition could have come from the VPN
If you have not already got it obtain Winpatrol free edition from www.winpatrol.com. Appears as a liittle dog and will advise if any new programs being installed. You should be able to disable the VPN in Winpatrol startup tab.
Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Fri 20-Jul-12 09:21:09
Print Post

No, but thank you for your suggestion. My PC used to go straight into Windows Desktop with Admin. Right on its own immediately after power-on. If I then selected Logoff and Switch User, my Windows would display a list of all the User Accounts that I could switch to. The subsequent User I chosen, with or without Password depending on my settings, would then boot-up and get me into that particular User's Desktop without any further requesting Pop-Up windows such as this annoying "Run As" windows pop-up.

Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Fri 20-Jul-12 09:38:52
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thank you for your suggestion. I am not sure of how to check the User Right prior to booting into Windows desktop from either the initial power-on, or during switching between Users. However I am certain that there is NO CHANGE in the associated User Right immediately after I got into my Windows Desktop and stabilized. Because I could check that using "Change User Accounts" with Admin Right after I got into Windows Desktop.
Finally, I have resolved the "mysterious installation of" a program called LogMeIn issue!! My son just admitted that he had installed that program but subsequently un-installed it. That explained why I had aware the mysterious installation, and subsequently its un-installarion, of the program called LogMeIn during Windows Restore!!

However my pain still continues as The "Run As" windows still pops itself up!

Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Sat 21-Jul-12 14:43:15
Print Post

I'll try that, thank you!

Standard User flippery
(regular) Sat 21-Jul-12 22:21:20
Print Post

Do you get this pop up at any other time, such as when double clicking a program shortcut.
If you do not have shortcuts can you make from a couple of programs to try,

Edited by flippery (Sat 21-Jul-12 22:21:52)

Standard User flippery
(regular) Sun 22-Jul-12 08:09:19
Print Post

added link if shortcut problem, log om is shortcut

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_runasshor...
Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Sun 22-Jul-12 10:42:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by flippery:
Do you get this pop up at any other time, such as when double clicking a program shortcut.

No, it only comes up either during the initial power on my PC or during switching to other User Accounts only, i.e during which time my associated desktop ICONs all came up at the background while this annoying "Run As" windows pops itself up at the foreground. I still have no resolution on that apart from clicking its "OK" button to get ride of it each time it happened.

P.S: This annoying "Run As" pop-up is still happening even my son/I have un-installed the "LogMeIn" program from my Windows XP's Install/Remove Windows. So my guess is that there is some remnant LogMeIn files still hidden in my PC!

Edited by OCdragon (Sun 22-Jul-12 10:55:12)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 23-Jul-12 00:25:56
Print Post

I am having exactly the same problem on my XP Home computer but I have never installed LogMeIn and I don't have any other User Accounts. The problem only started yesterday.
If you find a solution please post it here. I wish you sucess!
From Allan
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Jul-12 00:28:55
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
The problem only started yesterday.
Install any Windows Updates yesterday?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 23-Jul-12 01:32:17
Print Post

No, no windows updates installed yesterday.
From Allan
Standard User flippery
(regular) Mon 23-Jul-12 20:54:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
In reply to a post by Anonymous:
The problem only started yesterday.
Install any Windows Updates yesterday?

Can you post picture of pop up
Does it only occur at logon and log off
if you have avg anti virus installed, try uninstalling program

Edited by flippery (Mon 23-Jul-12 21:14:40)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Jul-12 21:47:35
Print Post

confused
In reply to a post by flippery:
Can you post picture of pop up
You already posted it: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/windows/t/4142215-r...

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 23-Jul-12 22:11:30
Print Post

Read this article from Microsoft and see if it helps!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830568
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Jul-12 00:04:35
Print Post

That's for disabling the the option of using Run As when starting a program.

The OP is getting it whilst starting up or on switching user, which shouldn't happen.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Jul-12 00:10:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by OCdragon:
My PC used to go straight into Windows Desktop with Admin. Right on its own immediately after power-on.
How come, if you have multiple users, you do not first get the list of all the User Accounts to choose from? How does it know which one to start with from cold?

Standard User flippery
(regular) Tue 24-Jul-12 07:58:29
Print Post

My PC used to go straight into Windows Desktop with Admin. Right on its own immediately after power-on.
How come, if you have multiple users, you do not first get the list of all the User Accounts to choose from? How does it know which one to start with from cold?

I believe the OP had XP installed as a single user, without password, and system would boot up into Desktop. The install of Logmein could have split User and Adinistrator. thus causing RunAs window.
With multiple users the Logon is a shortcut to program, and is why I suggested the Shortcut Fix previously. As the RunAs appears at Logon it maybe reason does not appear with other programs
I donot like to mess with Registry but it could fix problem.
Like all windows errors, it is a case of try and see.
Standard User dougieonline
(newbie) Tue 24-Jul-12 08:14:14
Print Post

Ive had this problem for about a week. I tried some ideas to get rid of it but nothing seemed to work. Then I noticed that after I clicked on OK an icon for a program appeared on my taskbar at the botom right. This was a program to check for upgrades to my LG BluRay writer's firmware. I removed that program and the Run As window does not now appear.

I can only presume an update to windows has altered the requirements for a program to be started under Administrator and caused this program to need to be confirmed before it will start. I only have one user profile on my Windows XP machine which boots straight to desktop. Ill have to try and replace the program and see if it comes back or not.
HTH
DougieL
Standard User flippery
(regular) Tue 24-Jul-12 10:02:41
Print Post

[re: dougieonline] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dougieonline:
Ive had this problem for about a week. I tried some ideas to get rid of it but nothing seemed to work. Then I noticed that after I clicked on OK an icon for a program appeared on my taskbar at the botom right. This was a program to check for upgrades to my LG BluRay writer's firmware. I removed that program and the Run As window does not now appear.

I can only presume an update to windows has altered the requirements for a program to be started under Administrator and caused this program to need to be confirmed before it will start. I only have one user profile on my Windows XP machine which boots straight to desktop. Ill have to try and replace the program and see if it comes back or not.
HTH
DougieL

Thanks,
That appears to concur wit OP and my thoughts. However, Logmein leaves traces that are not removable in uninstall. These are to stop reinstall of Pro trial and probably trial from free. There was probably a pop up to upgrade in free which now maybe corrupt and causing problem.
Maybe OP should contact Logmein and request solution.
Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Tue 24-Jul-12 17:18:35
Print Post

Thank you for all the suggestions! I indeed has the "LogMeIn" program uninstalled from my PC using Windows "Add/Remove Program" menu. But I am still not quite sure IF all its traces has been removed or not from my PC; although both the "Services" and "Startup" in MSCONFIG have not found any traces relating to "LogMeIn" now. I even used the "CCleaner" program to tidy up my Registry as well, but yet my pain still continues as this annoying "Run As" windows still pops itself up after rebooting or switching to other User Accounts as I had described. I disabled also 3 other start-up programs in my MSCONFIG's startup, which I thought could be relating to the "Run As" pop-up but to no avail! I'm still getting this "Run As" popup again!
I feel like giving up now as I just click its OK button to skip it!!!

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Jul-12 19:12:18
Print Post

Please answer my Qs here: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/windows/t/4142700-r...

You say when you Switch User you do see a list of users. Are they all you created or did LogMeIn create them?

Standard User Black
(learned) Tue 24-Jul-12 20:00:18
Print Post

Download a copy of autoruns, take the ticks out of anything you don't want starting .

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb96...
Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Tue 24-Jul-12 20:24:23
Print Post

Hi, sorry for my delays in answering! I have created multi-Users in my PC, but it always boots straight into the desktop with Administrator Right, without listing the ICONs of the Users that I have created, after my PC is being powered-on from cold. But this "Run As" windows always pops itself up and prompting me to select one of the two users, namely an a) Administrator with a PW, or b) a User without Adm. Right.
This list of ICONs for the Users is NOT created by the LogMeIN program which I have already un-installed.

Edited by OCdragon (Tue 24-Jul-12 20:28:45)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Jul-12 21:14:38
Print Post

it always boots straight into the desktop with Administrator Right, without listing the ICONs of the Users that I have created
Maybe that's the reason for it. Did you have to do something special to get it to do that?

I have XP with 1 Admin User with pwd & 1 Limited User no pwd and I always get the list of Users to choose logging in from.

Tho' this doesn't explain why it just started happening frown

Edited by XRaySpeX (Tue 24-Jul-12 21:15:56)

Standard User Wagstaff
(committed) Tue 24-Jul-12 22:08:15
Print Post

This list of ICONs for the Users is NOT created by the LogMeIN program which I have already un-installed.

It is however possible that the LogMeIn program has left something behind on the system which is causing this problem.
Have you tried running one of the free uninstaller programs, such as Perfect Uninstaller, just to make quite sure that there are no remnants of LogMeIn still on the system.

Wagstaff

"To injustice belongs injustice."
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Jul-12 00:24:33
Print Post

[re: Wagstaff] [link to this post]

Like searching the Registry for it!

Standard User Dagg
(newbie) Wed 25-Jul-12 01:06:20
Print Post

Hello,
I have the same problem. The run as dialog box appeared on desktop right after boot up. Restore didnít fix, no virus, adware, spyware, malware exist. Been all over the net for fix, nothing works, tried them all. Think itís a windows update registry corruption, not sure. This is what it looks like:

http://www.pcworld.com/zoom?id=125187&page=1&zoomIdx=2#

Would love to know whatís going on and disable it.

Thank you for any help.
Standard User Wagstaff
(committed) Wed 25-Jul-12 06:17:11
Print Post

Like searching the Registry for it!

I would guess that's were the problem lies. It may be worth running a good PC Clean-up tool to check for unnecessary Registry entries - it certainly wouldn't do any harm.

Wagstaff

"To injustice belongs injustice."
Standard User flippery
(regular) Wed 25-Jul-12 06:41:31
Print Post

Re: How to disable this "Run As" window for my XP please?? *DELETED*

Post deleted by flippery
Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Wed 25-Jul-12 10:26:34
Print Post

[re: Dagg] [link to this post]

Yeah! Your problem is very similar to mine, but I'm still struggling to solve it.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 25-Jul-12 13:45:01
Print Post

Hi all,

As of July 22nd, whenever I booted my XP machine up I would be greeted with the "Run as" dialog when the Desktop loaded. It never used to do this. Very long story short this is how I fixed it:

1. Leave the "Run as" dialog open.
2. Fire up Task Manager.
3. Under "Applications" right click on the Task "Run as".
4. Select "Go To Process.

This will show you which process is generating the "Run as" dialog. For me it was "lgfw.exe" (more on the file in a bit).

As mentioned by other posters in this thread, download Microsoft Autoruns

Before you run this application remember that you could damage your operating system so use it with care, I take no responsibility for you messing things up etc etc. wink

Run it and find the Autorun Entry for the problem process. Uncheck the entry.

Reboot your PC and the "Run as" dialog should no longer appear.

For me the LGFW.EXE is the firmware updater for my LG DVD writer that's been installed on my PC for a couple of years now, I think something has changed in the most recent Windows Update for XP that can effect some third party processes.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Jul-12 14:16:42
Print Post

That could indicate that LGFW.EXE had the wrong Permissions or Owner on it.

Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Wed 25-Jul-12 15:09:32
Print Post

SOLVED: How to disable this "Run As" window for my XP??

I have removed this frustrating "Run As" Windows now by following mostly what you had suggested!! Many thanks for that.
Quote:
"
1. Leave the "Run as" dialog open.
2. Fire up Task Manager.
3. Under "Applications" right click on the Task "Run as".
4. Select "Go To Process.

This will show you which process is generating the "Run as" dialog. For me it was "lgfw.exe" (more on the file in a bit)."

Note: for me as well because I also have an LG DVD drive installed.

However, I just went to the Windows "Add/Remove" menu, located the "LG ODD Auto Firmware update" application and then uninstalled it straight away. I also ran the "CCleaner" application, your could download it from the internet, to get rid of any remnant traces of LGFW from the "Startup" in "MSCONFIG and finally rebooted! The "Run As" POP-Up windows is all gone!!!!!! Very happy.. Some how my recent MS updates must have changed something in my PC to have caused me this TROUBLE. I hope my experience would help somebody who might be in the same boat!!
Many thinks for all the recent suggestions, it is much appreciated.

Quote:
"The LGFW.EXE is the firmware updater for my LG DVD writer that's been installed on my PC more than a year back, I think something has changed in the most recent Windows Update for XP that can effect some third party processes."

Edited by OCdragon (Wed 25-Jul-12 16:03:22)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Jul-12 15:13:44
Print Post

Re: SOLVED: How to disable this "Run As" window for my XP??

What program was yours pointing at?

Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Wed 25-Jul-12 15:19:27
Print Post

It was also "LGFW" only and that is why I managed to locate it in my "Add/Remove" Windows Menu!

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Jul-12 15:23:28
Print Post

Sorry, got confused between what you were quoting and your own words.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 26-Jul-12 05:30:12
Print Post

I to have a LG DVD, and your correct that it is the "lgfw.exe" running on start up. But instead of running Add/Remove on "LG ODD Auto Firmware update" I just typed msconfig in the start/run box, went to "Start Up" tab in the "System Configuration Utility", and unchecked "lgfw", click apply, restart and the "Run As" box is gone, and you donít have to remove the program if you donít wish to.

I want to say thank you to Ocdragon as well as Anonymous for your time on this, that "Run As" box really annoyed me.
Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Thu 26-Jul-12 10:28:12
Print Post

Have you got an additional prompt during your PC booting up from cold that you're running your "msconfig" in "Diagnostic-mode" and suggesting you should run that in "Normal Mode"?? I had that every time IF I only "unclicked" the LGFW in the "Startup" Menu of MSCONFIG. That is why I resolved into uninstalling that LGFW eventually!

Standard User Empirical
(newbie) Thu 26-Jul-12 21:26:03
Print Post

[re: dougieonline] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dougieonline:
Ive had this problem for about a week. I tried some ideas to get rid of it but nothing seemed to work. Then I noticed that after I clicked on OK an icon for a program appeared on my taskbar at the botom right. This was a program to check for upgrades to my LG BluRay writer's firmware. I removed that program and the Run As window does not now appear

Just registered to say thank you. As I have had this problem today. I have LG update and it did just do an update yesterday and it is not in my taskbar now (I cancelled the dialog as thought maybe it was a virus).

So I will disable the program, thanks for the tip!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 14-Aug-12 10:00:07
Print Post

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant -- complete solution to maddening problem -- looks as though LG are not quite as careful in their firmware updates as they should be ( LG DVD drive installed 2 years ago and then this problem started 2 or 3 weeks ago )
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 17-Sep-12 05:26:37
Print Post

I have the same ignoring problem.
Standard User gel
(newbie) Sun 18-Aug-13 12:11:02
Print Post

How I did ir.
If you have LG/Cyberlink software installed follow this, it worked for me.
Look to see if you have LGtoolkit in your program list
If so, go to control panel and see if it is there in 'Add or Remove.
Remove it.
You will have to keep closing - including the smsll black dos window until you see the option to 'reboot.Press that.
when restaring XP the run as window should not appear.
Then run your registry fix.
This worked for me.
All the best.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to