Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DonalTrainor82
(newbie) Fri 20-Jul-12 17:32:40
Print Post

Serious problem

[link to this post]

I'm trying to fix a laptop for a friend of a friend. I am by no means an expert but have gained some experience with fixing and repairing laptops and pcs.

The laptop that I am trying to sort out is a Toshiba C660 with a Intel Core i3 with Windows 7. When I turned the laptop on I was greeted with a recovery screen with two options 1. Start Windows recovery to find and fix problem and 2. Start Windows normally. After many attempts at starting and restarting I got into the recovery program and ran some diagnostics and Windows told me there was no problems (which is obviously not true) so I then tried a clean install with success it installed but the mouse touchpad does not work and it is taking forever to load the login screen and then into the desktop.

A few things I am asking questions about : Is the hard drive on its way out and did I install the right version of Windows 7, version I used is Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Is the laptop 32 bit?? I couldnt tell because I couldnt get logged in to check. Also I am wondering if there is enough RAM to support 64 bit...

The hard drive seems to be in some sort of loop when I listen to hear for activity and it has just froze on me again. Balls!

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User flippery
(regular) Fri 20-Jul-12 18:46:30
Print Post

Re: Serious problem

[re: DonalTrainor82] [link to this post]

how did you install the software. You say clean install was this over existing installation or did you reformat disk first and then use the toshiba disk supplied with laptop. To be honest anything than reformat would not solve any problems.
win32 and win64 will run with same ram but 64bit removes the 4gb memory limit. To be honest I would install 32 bit there are more program compatibility problems with 64bit.
With my toshiba I had to make backup to re install 64bit. supplied disk only 32 bit compatible.
If you can be a little bit more explicit of procedure used may assist.
Touch pad could be just drivers.
Standard User Ripley
(committed) Fri 20-Jul-12 18:53:56
Print Post

Have you tried a usb mouse?

Freeserve Dial-Up --> BTopenworld --> <n>ildram -->Talk Talk LLU --> ZeN
DrayTek 2850 VN

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Jul-12 19:11:34
Print Post

You know this is very concerning as I have now seen two Toshiba C660 laptops with issues. The 2nd one had the same issues as you described and I resorted to running the recovery partition and putting the default image back on.

The laptop also performs very slowly given it's specification too.

I would take the [censored] back and ask for a refund.

Zen 8000 Pro
(newbie) Fri 20-Jul-12 19:12:13
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

Installed using a Windows 7 iso I got online somewhere. There was 3 partitions, one system one win 7 and one free. I deleted the two partitions which created a large partition with 300 odd gb then ran the disk for setup. Setup completed and I can now log in to windows but it is soooo slow at doing it. I dont have a 32 bit copy to run and will the same product key work for both 64 bit and 32 bit?
No back up was created due to me not being able to get into the system as it was always trying to get into recovery.
Downloaded the synaptics touchpad driver and installed it but still isnt working.
The hard drive still seems to be in that loop I said about in my previous post. The best way to describe it is like a record that has finished with the needle skipping over it.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User scopio
(regular) Fri 20-Jul-12 19:20:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by DonalTrainor82:
I dont have a 32 bit copy to run and will the same product key work for both 64 bit and 32 bit?

If the Windows 7 HP is a boxed retail, it should have had two discs, one 32bit and a second 64bit version and they both would have the same product key.
(newbie) Fri 20-Jul-12 19:38:03
Print Post

[re: scopio] [link to this post]

So a 32 bit version should work anyway. Its not my laptop and I downloaded the iso from a website a long time ago.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User scopio
(regular) Fri 20-Jul-12 19:58:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by DonalTrainor82:
So a 32 bit version should work anyway. Its not my laptop and I downloaded the iso from a website a long time ago.

It will only work if both 32bit and 64bit versions were part and parcel of the same retail boxed version!
If not, you can always give it a try, you won't lose anything by trying!
It would also help if you were to post the full description of the laptop, we know it is a Toshiba Satallite c660, but it should have somewhere the short model No. such as PSC1NE or similar on a label. This will help identify drivers to be installed from the Toshiba Support; http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/wi...
(newbie) Fri 20-Jul-12 20:35:21
Print Post

[re: scopio] [link to this post]

Sorry for being a bit vague lol. That link didnt work fs. Toshiba satellite c660-1F1 PSCQ0E. Intel Core i3 with 2gb of RAM. Hitachi 320gb HDD.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by DonalTrainor82 (Fri 20-Jul-12 20:42:34)

Standard User flippery
(regular) Fri 20-Jul-12 21:19:05
Print Post

Couple of things you can try
Just in case pad has been disabled Fn + F9 Keys together. What does device Manager say.
If you can navigate
Control Panel - Performance Informance Tools - Adjust Powers Settings ( left of screen ) - Change Power to High
Is speed increased if you start in Safe Mode? F8
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to