Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TLM
(legend) Sun 05-Aug-12 11:43:59
Print Post

Failed Java Install

[link to this post]

I've installed Java numerous times on a previous laptop without a problem.

Now, brand new laptop, installing for the first time. I'm still on Windows 7, which I'm pretty used to. The only real difference is I now have Chrome as my default browser.

So anyway, tried to install the Java, using the online install. Downloaded and ran the .exe file, which looks like: chromeinstall-7u5 (seems reasonable).

However, when it runs, it only gets so far, before complaining: Downloaded file C:\Users\Myname\AppData\Local\Temp\\fx-runtime.exe is corrupt.

I cannot physically locate and delete the file it's moaning about. It seems to be a system/hidden file?

I can find and delete the original .exe (chromeinstall-7u5) and re-download that, but when I try to run it, the progress bar shows it not starting at the beginning, but trying to pick up where it left off. It again fails, with the complaint of the corrupt file.

I eventually circumvented all this by doing a manual (offline) install. Worked first time.

Problem solved, I thought.

Unfortunately not. Despite being newly downloaded from the official site, every time I try to run it, Chrome complains it's out-of-date. I'm forced either to choose "run this time" (works, but an absolute pain if you have to do it every time), or accept the prompt to update it.

If I do the latter, it takes me straight back to the auto- (online) install, which is the one that repeatedly fails. And yes, predictably, it does fail again.

I've never had so many problems simply installing Java. It was usually straightforward, and took moments.

Any clues to fix pse?

T.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 05-Aug-12 11:52:21
Print Post

Re: Failed Java Install

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

It's not just you http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120623...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Aug-12 12:05:30
Print Post

I'm gathering you have not yet managed to delete fx-runtime.exe - My first step would be to delete this file. If you go to into folder options make sure you are viewing hidden files as well as system files and then see if you can locate said file and delete it.

Presumably this is a branded laptop with customized OEM Windows 7 image. They always cause so many problems frown

Zen 8000 Pro

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TLM
(legend) Sun 05-Aug-12 12:11:33
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Hmmm. Appears that poster tried the same solution I did, of doing it the manual way. But they have not reported that they then got "out of date" complaints.

I don't see how it can be "out of date". I was only offered a choice of one. It's not as if there were multiple versions, and I had to pick one.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Aug-12 12:12:58
Print Post

Is your system clock correct?

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User TLM
(legend) Sun 05-Aug-12 12:14:31
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Yup.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Aug-12 12:20:24
Print Post

Unless you can find something on the web which has an exact solution, what I'd be doing now: Remove all instances of Java from add/remove programs. Remove chrome. Remove those temporary java install files. Remove java remains from Program Files. Disk Cleanup > remove temporary files and downloaded program files. Reboot computer. Reinstall Chrome. Try Java again.

Bit of a ball ache but should be able to do all that in about 10 mins.

Zen 8000 Pro

Edited by Pipexer (Sun 05-Aug-12 12:21:15)

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 07-Aug-12 20:59:07
Print Post

any joy?

Zen 8000 Pro
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 07-Aug-12 21:00:03
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Had the same problem this afternoon. Downloaded the offline installer from here http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp and that installed fine.

Tony
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 07-Aug-12 21:00:56
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Shame it naffed up your cookies tongue

(Joke, and assuming you are Cheshire_Man) tongue

Zen 8000 Pro
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to