Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Aug-12 18:45:04
Print Post

Outlook 2003 - hidden emails

[link to this post]

I seem to have lost or mislaid a number of emails from BT. For regular incoming emails I let Outlook sort into the appropriate folder.

Looking today I found that I did not have a directory for BT shown and no Rule for the sorting in Tools. But, and this is the odd thing; if I search for a BT email the Google Desktop can find them! Recent ones included.But of course does not identify the folder...

I don't tend to delete emails other than spam and sales ones, so they must be there somewhere, but how to find them?

Cheers!

Clive

"As I hurtled through space towards re-entry at twice the speed of sound the only thought in my mind was that this craft was entirely built by the lowest bidder! Alan Shepard, Astronaut

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 28-Aug-12 18:56:03
Print Post

Re: Outlook 2003 - hidden emails

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

You may see one of your mail folders with a plus sign indicating it has sub folders.
I often accidentally move my folders into other ones like that.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Aug-12 19:07:47
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Good thinking.

Small point, not sure what version of Outlook OP is using but on Outlook 2010 the + is replaced by a small arrowhead pointing to the right.

Tony

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Aug-12 19:08:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ancient_Mariner:
if I search for a BT email the Google Desktop can find them!
Why not use the obvious Find Message of Outlook's own (from top level Local Folders)? That tells you the containing folder.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Aug-12 22:19:56
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Well, most of my folders have sub-folders and I thought that I had checked them all, but.... Looks like I had inadvertantly dropped my BT folder into something totally removed from telecoms. And there it was (also my o2 one!)

Thanks.

Cheers!

Clive

"As I hurtled through space towards re-entry at twice the speed of sound the only thought in my mind was that this craft was entirely built by the lowest bidder! Alan Shepard, Astronaut

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Aug-12 22:22:44
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

So obvious, I had forgotten about Outlook's search...

oh dear!

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Aug-12 22:35:51
Print Post

A not uncommon problem. It's always struck me that moving a mail folder should, at the very least, require a request for confirmation.

A bit of Googling and I found this which may be of interest. I've no idea whether it's safe though. I'm a little less convinced by the Delete Folder confirm as the Deleted Items mail folder is there to help. Though I guess it depends on how long between the accidental delete and realising it's happened.

Tony
  Print Thread

Jump to