Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 01-Sep-12 08:32:16
Print Post

Java update corrupted

[link to this post]

My automatic reminder popped up telling me that there was a Java update. So I do the same as I always do and run the files. At the end I get a message saying that there's a corrupted file (.dll suffix) and that the installation has failed. When I go to the 'what version of Java do I have?' page on java.com it just hangs and won't complete. I've tried uploading from the website and the same thing happens. Strangely, in my programs list the update shows as installed. Doesn't seem to affect anything else on my computer but I'd like to know if I have updated Java or not!

Dell Studio1558 with Win7 Home Premium 64bit 8GB RAM
IE9 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
Standard User TLM
(legend) Sat 01-Sep-12 09:50:24
Print Post

Re: Java update corrupted

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

Had this as well. Try a manual ("offline") install: Link to relevant Java webpage

This partially fixed it for me, although I still get browser complaints the brand new install is out-of-date, and have to give it permission to run. But at least it's installed now.

Tina
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Sep-12 10:01:33
Print Post

You may just want to leave Java disabled for the moment:-

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/31/critical_fla...

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 01-Sep-12 10:45:27
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

I've set my IE9 Security level to High and that has disabled Javascript pro tem. I'm waiting for some unexpected side-effects now. The update is showing in my programs list so I assume some of it is installed somewhere on my system. I spent hours last week sorting out a buggy McAfee update (see post in DSL Hardware forum last weekend) and now this. At least it hasn't trashed anything.

IE9 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 01-Sep-12 10:50:51
Print Post

Java is not javascript

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 01-Sep-12 11:01:19
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Yes, sorry. I meant that I'd set it to High for this morning until I've researched more. I was assuming that by disabling Javascript any attack would not be possible via Java, or is that wrong? Anyway, I'm going to uninstall all Java later on today and see if I can run my usual websites without it.

IE9 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 01-Sep-12 12:42:12
Print Post

After some research it seems that most potential attacks can be avoided by disabling Java plugins via the Tools menu of IE. I've done that now and set my security levels back to Medium High. Apparently this vulnerability isn't being picked up by most antivirus programs and hackers are actively writing trojans that will exploit it. The obvious nuclear option is to uninstall Java 7 and go back to 6, but that was none too secure from what I read. Maybe I'll just zap Java completely if no bug-fix is put out soon for Java, as 7.7 was meant to fix various issues and actually introduced a new one.
A propos of nothing, some months ago the daughter of an old lady I know asked me to look at her computer which was running slow. She used it mainly to Skype her son in Australia etc. It had no anti-virus, no firewall (both subscriptions had expired) and had never had a Windows Update in 3 years. I did a Malwarebytes scan and there was nothing dodgy detected! Just makes me wonder if all these updates are really necessary. I've had two buggy ones in ten days, one of which (McAfee) trashed my networking.

IE9 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 01-Sep-12 12:52:09
Print Post

The attack vector for this latest java vunerability is a specially-crafted website. Unless you often go visiting special-interest websites by following links from pop-up adverts, then there's no risk.

The same goes for emails. If you often trawl though your junk mail folder following links from people offering you free money, then you may risk downloading a virus.

To me, the biggest problem is Internet Explorer. I find it virtually unusable with all the pop-ups, adverts and web bugs. I prefer Firefox.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User TLM
(legend) Sat 01-Sep-12 14:14:20
Print Post

I think the clue is in that it was an "old lady", who doesn't use it for much.

My mother still uses my father's old laptop, which I'm sure hasn't had its AV or firewall renewed or updated since he died almost four years ago.

It's still remarkably free of nasties, because she doesn't websurf, and has only just barely mastered e-mail. She's frightened of touching anything she doesn't know, in case she breaks something, and in this respect at least, her paranoia has stood her in good stead, because she's unlikely to open, let alone act on, unsolicited e-mails etc.

My sister's laptop, meanwhile, co-used by two young boys, does have all the latest protection, but has still had a serious problem recently, because young boys, unlike old ladies, aren't cautious or timid in their use of the computer!

I'm probably somewhere in the middle - not as paranoid as my mum, but not as reckless as my nephews. I wouldn't be without up-to-date AV, even though I think it's only ever reported anything twice, in ten years or more.

I think of a bit like house insurance. Every time I'm tempted to forego it, because I haven't had an "incident" in years, I remind myself it only takes once.

Tina
Standard User TrishaH
(member) Sat 01-Sep-12 14:17:14
Print Post

I was having problems with IE9 not working this morning, so I did Malwarebytes scan - nothing, two Superantispyware scans for cookies then a quick scan (nothing but tracking cokies found), and then did a Kaspersky scan for Vulnerabilities - it found Java.
I did a search for Java 7 v7 and found this:
http://blogs.computerworld.com/cybercrime-and-hackin...

Not sure what caused the IE problems but it's stopped since the scans/cookies removal, but I won't be updating Java for the time being. I'm running Java 6 currently.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to