Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Xplosion
(regular) Sun 09-Sep-12 16:38:55
Print Post

Security software for 2013

[link to this post]

It's that time of year again, all of next year's products are coming out (Norton, Kaspersky and AVG have released theirs).

I currently use Norton 360 v6.0 and may upgrade to Norton 360 2013 but I'm also looking at other products this year.

I'm now going to install the trial of Kaspersky's top-tier package for 2013 - PURE 2.0.

Please tell me what you think of the 2013 products (or betas), which one do you like the most and which is the most improved?

Sky Broadband Unlimited
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 09-Sep-12 17:44:44
Print Post

Re: Security software for 2013

[re: Xplosion] [link to this post]

good firewall and wpa2 settings - router.

and

cheap internet security - avg can be got for 3 quid on ebay. or last year's product (2011 or 2012) for less than 10 quid with a free upgrade to the latest one, regardless of the brand.

no security for mac - after running several different ones for more than two years and not having any virus alerts etc. but a slow computer, i simply don't bother anymore.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 09-Sep-12 20:20:46
Print Post

I've downloaded KIS 2013 and I'm now using it on one pc but it doesn't seem much different to KIS 2012 so wont bother to update other pc's that are running KIS 2012.

It would be interesting to hear how you get on with PURE 2.0 - which unfortunately isn't available as a Barclays freebee frown

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Sep-12 21:30:09
Print Post

I have not paid for a security suite for a few years now, at the moment I am using comodo internet security suite free version.
New versions will have to come out soon anyway, so they will work on windows 8 and get rid of MS security service.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User mikebear
(learned) Sun 09-Sep-12 21:31:45
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

no security for mac - after running several different ones for more than two years and not having any virus alerts etc. but a slow computer, i simply don't bother anymore.

You have been lucky for the past 2 years but Macs will be under greater attack in the next year or so. Why not try the free AV from Sophos and see if it slows your machine?
http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/soph...
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sun 09-Sep-12 21:55:30
Print Post

Based on av comparatives, and some other reviews, Kaspersky seems to be one of the leaders at present, along with Bit Defender.

I tend to go with Kaspersky 3-user, 2-year licenses, as I'm lucky enough that one of the users is a business client, and I get the other two users for half the price of the product.

As such, I have protection for two PCs for two years for about £30. £7.50 per year each. smile

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Standard User DavidFinbarr
(freechataholic) Sun 09-Sep-12 22:51:13
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

I use Kaspersky.

Get a 3 user yearly one for having a few pennies in a Barclay's account. smile

Edit, as already stated not the Pure edition.

A bottle of white, a bottle of red
Perhaps a bottle of rosé instead.

Edited by DavidFinbarr (Sun 09-Sep-12 22:52:52)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 10-Sep-12 00:15:38
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by camieabz:
Based on av comparatives, and some other reviews, Kaspersky seems to be one of the leaders at present, along with Bit Defender.

I tend to go with Kaspersky 3-user, 2-year licenses, as I'm lucky enough that one of the users is a business client, and I get the other two users for half the price of the product.

As such, I have protection for two PCs for two years for about £30. £7.50 per year each. smile
Both KIS and BD where resource hogs , although they may of changed,KIS in particular, but B defender was seriously borked a few years back, and their support is/wasn't great either, And the Bit def didn't actually stop viruses ect getting on to a machine or executing once they infiltrated it ,even though it was supposed to have web protection, I manually had to Kill it's running processes & undo the changes it made to the registry/GP And another security app PC tools spyware doctor cleared the harmless leftovers that bd didn't flag , it was useless , kaspersky (free trial) basically brought my pc to a halt had a severe impact on performance , but that was a long time ago

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 10-Sep-12 00:34:48
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

KIS 2011 and earlier weren't that brilliant but I think KIS 2012 and KIS 2013 are pretty good - actually an old XP laptop runs quite well now with KIS 2013 smile
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 10-Sep-12 18:36:07
Print Post

I'm sticking with Security Essentials - its free...

Follow me on Twitter. Be*
My Blog
12 Things...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to