Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TLM
(legend) Fri 28-Sep-12 21:43:36
Print Post

Can't get iPlayer to work on either Chrome or IE9

[link to this post]

I posted about this a few weeks ago, but seemed to overcome the problem after several re-install attempts, and was eventually able to download something for later viewing.

I watched that programme without problems earlier this week, without having attempted to download or watch anything else in the meantime.

Tonight, for the first time, I tried to download something new, and found the iPlayer website was prompting me to install iPlayer desktop, even though it's already installed.

A few minutes Googling told me this is a "known problem" currently under investigation, and the workaround was to "use another browser".

So off to IE to try again. In IE, the iPlayer website now crashes the browser entirely, before I've even tried to download anything. E.g. go to iPlayer website, click on relevant letter in the alphabetical listing, I get:

"A malfunctioning or malicious add-on has caused Internet Explorer to close this webpage. "

So in Chrome the website itself doesn't seem inherently unstable, but won't recognize the iPlayer Desktop installation. Whereas in IE, I can't even get as far as trying to interact with the Desktop application, because it crashes sooner than that!

I've tried to remove and re-install the iPlayer desktop, but now that has gone back to error messages - the same issue I had when I first tried to install it a few weeks ago.

So now I seem to have three separate issues, all linked to iPlayer: (i) Chrome won't recognize Desktop app. (ii) IE crashes on navigating website alone. (iii) Can't do a new install of Desktop app.

I can't understand why I'm having so much trouble with such a widely used, mainstream application, that I can't use it at all, with either browser. I'm not having trouble in general, with other apps, so I don't think there's anything fundamentally unstable about my Windows 7 installation.

Has anyone else been having trouble, and did you find a fix?

T.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 28-Sep-12 22:58:17
Print Post

Re: Can't get iPlayer to work on either Chrome or IE9

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

I am using iPlayer version 3.2.15 and IE 9 downloaded Waterloo Road today without any problems.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Fri 28-Sep-12 23:44:39
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Thanks, but I'd already guessed the problem can't be universal, otherwise forums would be full of it, and/or there'd be a statement on the website itself about it. So "alright here" feedback doesn't get me any further forward.

But equally, I'm hoping the problems aren't unique to me, and that someone out there has met them before, and knows the fix.

It's clear that Chrome failing to recognize an existing installation is one the BBC already knows about, and is investigating. So probably not fixable at my end.

But the other two (IE crashing and new installations failing) don't seem to be among issues the BBC is already looking into, so there's a chance it is fixable locally.

T.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DavidFinbarr
(freechataholic) Sat 29-Sep-12 00:53:13
Print Post

I had the same trouble a while ago, iplayer installed but every time I tried to DL anything,
it kept prompting to install (this always failed).

Tried loads of different fixes, in the end I gave up and reinstalled Windows.

A bottle of white, a bottle of red
Perhaps a bottle of rosé instead.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Sat 29-Sep-12 01:51:12
Print Post

[re: DavidFinbarr] [link to this post]

Beeb appear to be already aware of this (topic update is recent).

But the frustrating thing for me is I can't get their recommended workaround (revert to IE) to work either.

Dunno why the website keeps crashing the browser - BEFORE I've even attempted to play or download anything.

T.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Sun 30-Sep-12 13:33:33
Print Post

Couldn't fix the Chrome but working again in IE9

IE9 has resumed working after the latest Windows updates, so assume it to have been a Windows issue.

Chrome still doesn't work.
Standard User lokeymo
(newbie) Mon 01-Oct-12 03:33:43
Print Post

Are you by any chance using UnoDNS to unblock iPlayer ?
Standard User TLM
(legend) Mon 01-Oct-12 19:12:02
Print Post

[re: lokeymo] [link to this post]

Nope, doesn't need unlocking - I'm in this country.

I've got it working again now - on IE at least. BBC seem to be aware of a problem with the latest version of Chrome, so I won't hold my breath on that one, but whatever it is isn't specific to my setup.

I just seem to have problems with it the whole time. I eventually get it working, but then next time I come back to it - which can be weeks later, as I'm not a frequent downloader - I find it's stopped working again. frown

Oh well, I was able to get my episodes of Horizon, which was all I wanted.

T.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 02-Oct-12 23:51:15
Print Post

Had/have the same issue with iplayer asking to instal (in Chrome) eventhough it's alrady installed and not installing after the "need to install Air first" dialogue. Re-did everything including uninstalling Air ... still wouldn't install in Chrome
Worked perfectly when I started using Firefox
I did a complete uninstall of iplaayer first including the files in Appdata/roaming etc
Standard User TLM
(legend) Thu 04-Oct-12 11:30:34
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Well, I currently (for however long it lasts) have it working in IE - which is effectively the same solution as yours, i.e. use a different browser! Had to do the same as you: remove everything, and start again. I fully expect that in a few weeks time, it will stop working again in IE, and I'll be back to square one. For a while, I couldn't re-install on IE either, because even visiting the website was causing a crash, before I'd tried to do anything. frown

That seemed to be fixed with the latest Windows update.

T.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to