Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 10-Oct-12 02:40:29
Print Post

Very cheap vaguely working laptop needed

[link to this post]

Not sure this is quite the right forum, but...

anyone know where I can pick up a 5-6 year old laptop with a battery that can just about handle 20 mins and a power brick, I quite like what curry's current cashback offer does to the price of ultrabooks...
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 10-Oct-12 06:30:51
Print Post

Re: Very cheap vaguely working laptop needed

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Car boot sales?

Alternatively, just ask Currys for the cash-back. They'll only have to dispose of the old unit, anyway.

'Sir, please,' she said ... 'Will you not share your wisdom with us?'
'I have no wisdom,' he told her.
'Your experiences, then?'
'They have been trivial, uninteresting, and full of error.'
Ian M. Banks - Feersum Endjinn
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts

Edited by micksharpe (Wed 10-Oct-12 06:33:40)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 10-Oct-12 12:27:12
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

Unfortunatly its run by a 3rd party, so I'm not sure how amicable they will be. Plus I'm fairly sure a large part of the cost of the offer will be absorbed by people who never get round to claiming/put in an inelligible claim...

Monitoring ebay atm, where ironically I might end up buying the netbook I intended to buy in the first place second hand to save £100 on the price of the ultrabook...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User martinsq
(learned) Thu 11-Oct-12 02:53:20
Print Post

Re " price of ultrabooks ".
The trade press (e.g. theregister.co.uk) is full of stories how Intel 'invented' ultrabooks to sell more of their expensive CPU's.
But it has not worked, people see them as overpriced and sales are way bellow expectation. Hence the cashback.....
You would be better off buying a regular laptop.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 11-Oct-12 16:33:59
Print Post

[re: martinsq] [link to this post]

That may be true for many people, but not for me. I've just bought a 13.3" laptop that fits in the inner pocket of my jacket, weighs 1.4 kg. and has an i5 cpu. Perfect for carrying on to a plane without touching my hand luggage allowance, has twice as many usb ports as I need to unload camera cards and send to remote online backup, powerfull enough to do some photo editing if I so choose, and light enough to carry around when I feel like it. A regular laptop simply wouldn't fulfill my requirements, which is why originally I was going to pick up a netbook.

Price discounts are probably as much to do with clearing out sandybridge processor models, making room for windows 8 touch enabled devices, and the fact that drg is still somewhere in the retail desert... having said that dell currently have 5% cashback, with 15% voucher, and until yesterday an xbox 360 thrown in....
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 11-Oct-12 22:58:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
That may be true for many people, but not for me. I've just bought a 13.3" laptop that fits in the inner pocket of my jacket, weighs 1.4 kg. and has an i5 cpu.....

Clearly you have unusually DEEP pockets in more then one sense !
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 11-Oct-12 23:19:54
Print Post

Oh, it's a great pocket... its webbing and about 10 inches deep... perfect for cheapskate flight addicts. On the other front, after the cashback has been payed and I've flogged the xbox I'm hoping the final cost will be a reasonable chunk under £600, which whilst not cheap, is hardly world shattering in computer terms. Could have gone about £200 cheaper. If you have a trade in, £350 must be putting serious strain on netbook sales...
  Print Thread

Jump to