Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 26-Oct-12 16:33:57
Print Post

Windows 8 Upgrade

[link to this post]

£24.99 to upgrade my Windows Vista Home to Windows 8 Pro. Now that's what I call a bargain!
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 26-Oct-12 19:40:47
Print Post

Re: Windows 8 Upgrade

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

Nah, better off going to windows 7.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 26-Oct-12 20:03:00
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

That would be a lot more expensive. But a Windows 8 Pro licence also gives you the right to install Windows 7 Pro. So I'd be a fool to buy Windows 7 Pro for 100 and whatever quid.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 26-Oct-12 23:26:58
Print Post

Just trying Windows 8 Pro (£14.99 as an upgrade to W7!) on an Acer tablet. OK on a tablet but when switched back to 'normal' Windows - YEUIKKKK!!!!
Windows 7 remains on all other laptops and desktops in my my house.

Seems MS may have followed the usual pattern of one great OS followed by an iffy one (XP-Vista, W7-W8)

We'll see...........
Standard User Speedchaser
(regular) Sat 27-Oct-12 00:26:40
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I'm running Vista still since buying my PC. Didn't upgrade to Win 7 because I never had any issues with Vista and couldn't justify the price. Window 8 pro can be downloaded for £24.98 from Microsoft. For that price why not? The new interface I hear people say. I liken the metro UI on Windows 8 to the media centre on Vista. Seemed like a good idea, looked pretty in the shops, but what a fiddley waste of time to use. Addmitted by microsoft as a dud because in the end the average user just didn't use it. My gut feeling is the metro UI will take the same road to oblivion on most peoples desktops. That said, many report that the underlying OS is good and perhaps better than Win 7. There are already third party programs begining to work around the metro UI and perhaps if the majority of desktop users reject it Microsoft itself may develop/issue its own.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 27-Oct-12 00:36:14
Print Post

[re: Speedchaser] [link to this post]

Windows 8 can be downloaded for £14.99 on a recent PC with W7 - just done it, The fact is that W8 is great on tablets, but absolutely horrible on a normal screen. Try it..........

Vista was hopeeless when it first came out but was improved over time. No doubt W8 will also improve over time and when MS put out SP1 it will become servicable on laptops and PC's. W7 is a great operating system (Google reviews by professionals).
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Oct-12 02:24:10
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Windows 8 can be downloaded for £14.99 on a recent PC with W7 - just done it, The fact is that W8 is great on tablets, but absolutely horrible on a normal screen. Try it..........

Been trying it for 2 months on my main machine (a desktop) and if I had a problem with it I promise you I would have told you all on here. I haven't. It's perfectly fine, even on my 5 year old Core2Quad machine which was never designed for Windows 8!

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Oct-12 09:01:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by AEP:
That would be a lot more expensive. But a Windows 8 Pro licence also gives you the right to install Windows 7 Pro. So I'd be a fool to buy Windows 7 Pro for 100 and whatever quid.

i thought that was only if you buy a computer with windows 8 and want to change to windows 7, not if you buy windows 8 and decided you don't like it.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Oct-12 09:14:37
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Ah - true. Still, Windows 8 Pro is a far better deal than Vista Home. I'm happy. (I never really intended to downgrade; it would be too difficult without a volume licence.)
Standard User DavidFinbarr
(freechataholic) Sat 27-Oct-12 10:58:22
Print Post

very cheap if you want to upgrade.

Hope it's about the same price when Win9 comes out.
I expect Win9 will be more build for a PC than a tablet (or have different versions).

A bottle of white, a bottle of red
Perhaps a bottle of rosé instead.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to