Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sun 28-Oct-12 13:01:33
Print Post

Windows 8 Install

[link to this post]

I'm beginning to think that My lodger's day old install of 8 is well and truly broken, which may mean a reinstall from scratch. Unfortunately, I think he may have leapt into this without thinking it through and lumbered himself if he wants to upgrade his hardware.

I think that his previous install was 32 bit Win 7 and he does have the disks (not OEM or upgrade, but full monty with 32 and 64 bit disks) His machine can handle 8Gb, but only has 2Gb installed - I have 2 No. 2Gb SODIMMS that would work that I can install in it.

I am assuming this means he upgraded to 32bit Win 8 (it says it's 32 bit). This, of course, means he is lumbered with the 3.whatever limit on useable RAM in 32 bit. However, could he upgrade a new 64 bit Win7 install under the same licence he bought yesterday (I assume it would mean another download?) or would he need to buy another 64 bit Win 8 licence in addition to the 32 bit one he bought yesterday?

Also I think he may have deleted the download after installing. Try as I may I cannot find what I assume would be a fairly big install something anywhere (It can't be an ISO since he insists he didn't burn a disk - I don't think he'd know how laugh ) If he has deleted it can it just be redownloaded or assuming he has deleted it is that £25 out the window (so to speak). I'm assuming Microsoft wouldn't run a scam like that?

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 1 Mac, 2. Hackintoshes, 1 PC, 2 HTPCs, iPhone, iPad, OS X, Windows 7

Rehab is for quitters

Edited by Desmond (Sun 28-Oct-12 13:03:56)

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 28-Oct-12 13:11:28
Print Post

Re: Windows 8 Install

[re: Desmond] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Desmond:
I'm beginning to think that My lodger's day old install of 8 is well and truly broken, which may mean a reinstall from scratch. Unfortunately

This is always the best way. My Windows 8 installation on my main PC was actually an upgrade and works very well, though I can guarantee you that if I installed from scratch it would perform even better.
I think he may have leapt into this without thinking it through and lubered himself if he wants to upgrade his hardware.

If Windows 8 has loaded up and the upgrade process went through - then the hardware should be fine, it would have complained otherwise.

I think that his previous install was 32 bit Win 7 and he does have the disks (not OEM or upgrade, but full monty with 32 and 64 bit disks) His machine can handle 8Gb, but only has 2Gb installed - I have 2 No. 2Gb SODIMMS that would work that I can install in it.

If the machine uses DDR2 RAM then I wouldn't advise spending money upgrading RAM. if it runs DDR3 then it is worth it. DDR3 RAM is cheaper than DDR2. 2GB should be enough for Windows 8 though as long as he is not leaving loads of programs open.

I am assuming this means he upgraded to 32bit Win 8 (it says it's 32 bit).

Correct, Microsoft have never allowed cross-architecture upgrades as far as I am aware.
This, of course, means he is lumbered with the 3.whatever limit on useable RAM in 32 bit.

Usually it is between 3.0GB - 3.5GB
However, could he upgrade a new 64 bit Win7 install under the same licence he bought yesterday (I assume it would mean another download?) or would he need to buy another 64 bit Win 8 licence in addition to the 32 bit one he bought yesterday?

It depends how the purchase process works. I think he would be OK reinstalling a 64bit version. If activation was denied I think if he spoke to Microsoft they may be sympathetic and give him another activation. They will also see the hardware is the same assuming he doesn't upgrade it.

Also I think he may have deleted the download after installing. Try as I may I cannot find what I assume would be a fairly big install something anywhere (It can't be an ISO since he insists he didn't burn a disk - I don't think he's know how laugh ) If he has deleted it can it just be redownloaded or assuming he has deleted it is that £25 out the window (so to speak). Im assuming Microsoft wouldn't run a scam like that?

Microsoft should allow the redownload. What he has bought is a license key, the download can often be obtained from a number of sources.

My own advice: This sounds like it could be a right faff for him and something he doesn't feel inclined to do. Perhaps he could try sorting out the Windows 8 installation as it is. For starters, he should remove any unneccessary programs. Check the list of programs which are starting up. If he has any 3rd party antivirus/security software installed it would be advisable to remove this and check if things get better. Windows 8 comes with its own Antivirus.

Also, it seems like the PC might not be worth upgrading in which case there is nothing wrong using a 32bit installation.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 28-Oct-12 13:21:38
Print Post

I'm told that this site allows you to download again. However I would strongly recommend that he talks to someone who knows - i.e. Microsoft Support - rather than relying upon second-hand information relayed by yourself.

Rest assured that, as he has the invoice from Microsoft, they will help him. And, no; you can't directly upgrade a 32-bit install to a 64-bit one; it always needs a fresh install.

Anyway, next time he should save the ISO and burn a DVD or two before installing. Internet-only installs are fine if it goes right, but not so good when things go wrong. You can't beat hardcopy install media.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sun 28-Oct-12 13:42:34
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

So the 64 bit disk is useless and he's stuck with 32 bit and 3.whatever unless he forks out another £25. Despite the fact that this is an upgrade of the full monty not OEM crippleware?

The machine really isn't that old. It's certainly nowhere near old enough to retire. I just think it was underspeced in terms of RAM when he bought it (probably cheaply for this reason).

If I download an ISO and burn it can I just install from it without reinstalling 7 first? That would be a real PITA.

He wouldn't know what to do with the thing, which is why it's on my lap and I can't be arsed wasting much more of my day on it. I just think something went fundamentally wrong in the upgrade process and it isn't fixable short of going to file level checking of what is or is not installed correctly. I noticed something else a short while ago; you can't change the desktop pic. It doesn't matter what you do you can't get rid of the damned cheerless daisies. laugh

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 1 Mac, 2. Hackintoshes, 1 PC, 2 HTPCs, iPhone, iPad, OS X, Windows 7

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 28-Oct-12 13:52:54
Print Post

No like AEP says I think he will be fine but he will have to do a clean install and re download of the 64bit version.

How old are we talking in years? If the PC has an 8GB RAM limitation it must be fairly old or entry level.

In the past you have been able to do clean install using the upgrade purchases, it was just a naming convention by calling it an "upgrade". however the MS store is quite clear when it says you must have XP SP3, Vista, or 7 on in the first place.

If the PC came with a factory recover image all he needs to do is backup his data, do a factory restore, strip out the OEM crapware, then do the Windows 8 install again.

It is probably just 2-3 misbehaving things on the PC which are causing it to screw up. I was expecting some noticeable problems when I upgraded my machine to 8 but it has worked surprisingly well. I did purge non-essential programs and my antivirus software before doing the upgrade though.

If you run sfc /scannow at an elevated command prompt Windows should let you know whether it is corrupt or not, if it comes back with violations then definitely reinstall, if it gives the OK then you can probably get it sorted out (for the most part) without a re installation.

I am indoors with a cold today so if you need any assistance I am happy to help, a remote session is not out of the question either.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 28-Oct-12 13:54:08
Print Post

One easy thing to try is create another user account on the PC and see what happens then. If the new user account is fine, just copy files across and select settings, delete the old one, and you're sorted!

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sun 28-Oct-12 14:23:59
Print Post

Tried the new user acount on the basis that there might have been some setting from somewhere in 7 that was screwing up 8. It didn't work.

I'm just going to put WIndows 7 32bit back on and leave the rest to him with a recommendation to leave Win 8 alone unless he wants to deal with the problems by himself next time. His rent doesn't come with full PC support included. laugh

Des

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 28-Oct-12 14:29:17
Print Post

If you're putting Windows 7 back on then put Windows 8 back on straight after. The reason it has gone tits up is probably due to some software he installed, not the Windows 7 installation itsself.

Zen 8000 Pro
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 28-Oct-12 14:49:47
Print Post

Unfortunately what happened with win7 is that although it came with 32 and 64bit discs once you installed a version and registered it. That was finalised as that version only and you couldn't swap versions later on that key.

Now MS are being critisised as the win8 upgrade will only let you continue with whatever your install is, there is no jumping from 32 to 64 bit.

Now as for the possibilty of the deleted download you would need to speak to MS and see if they can supply you with the file again, but it is up to them and MS have their own rules and procedures which can make no sense on why they take a certain stance. Especially when it comes to OS liscenses.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Oct-12 14:50:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
..... If the PC came with a factory recover image all he needs to do is backup his data, do a factory restore, strip out the OEM crapware...

Or download the relevant Win7 SP1 ISO and avoid the crapware altogether:
http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-24208.iso 2147483647 X17-24208.iso Windows 7 Home Premium x86 English
http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-24209.iso 2147483647 X17-24209.iso Windows 7 Home Premium x64 English
http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-24280.iso 2147483647 X17-24280.iso Windows 7 Professional x86 English
http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-24281.iso 2147483647 X17-24281.iso Windows 7 Professional x64 English
http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-24394.iso 2147483647 X17-24394.iso Windows 7 Ultimate x86 English
http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-24395.iso 2147483647 X17-24395.iso Windows 7 Ultimate x64 English
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to