Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User janitor
(experienced) Mon 05-Nov-12 18:01:55
Print Post

Re-install downloaded windows

[link to this post]

I am going to buy windows 8 upgrade from the Microsoft download store, if everything goes belly up, how do I re-install windows 8.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 05-Nov-12 18:06:06
Print Post

Re: Re-install downloaded windows

[re: janitor] [link to this post]

Just reinstall it...
confused

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Nov-12 18:15:35
Print Post

[re: janitor] [link to this post]

Download as an ISO file and burn it to a DVD. Then you can reinstall if necessary. To be safe, keep a copy of the ISO file somewhere safe.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Nov-12 21:24:16
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AEP:
Download as an ISO file and burn it to a DVD. Then you can reinstall if necessary. To be safe, keep a copy of the ISO file somewhere safe.

Yep that is the best idea. I tried the update and I had to do a clean install to get windows 8 to work, which was flipping annoying as I got a lot of software to reinstall. I installed some, but not all as i don't think I will be keeping windows 8

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 05-Nov-12 21:28:40
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

I upgraded Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit to Windows 8 Pro 64 bit with no issues. I also downloaded Windows Media Center.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Mon 05-Nov-12 23:51:53
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I also downloaded Windows Media Center

Given the price and the temporary free offer for WMC I tried this and found that as far a WMC is concerned 8 is so far away from being ready for prime time on an HTPC system that it isn't really a viable alternative to 7. Maybe this is a deliberate thing for MS since they have officially said the WMC is on its way out. Eitherway, it has me looking at a permanent move to Linux alternatives sooner rather than later.

Vista was a dog here too fan I reverted to XP. MS eventually ironed out Vista and WMC with a special pack that they bafflingly only made officially available to OEM system builders. Of course it leaked out, but the only functional improvement (other than basi stability and usability) in real terms in the UK was red button services being available. Hardly rocket science!

In 8 the only functional improvements I can see are that you can now get Dolby Digital on Freeview (nice to have, but not really a big deal for me). It also handles DVB-S2 (Freesat) properly (a solveable problem in 7 if you know how for your hardware). Bafflingly, they decided not to make it see the difference between DVB T and DVB T2 tuners making it very random when it comes to Freeview HD when you have mixed hardware - force it to setup more than once and I get anything from 1 to 4 available DVB T ot T2 tuners. There are in fact 5 digital terrestrial tuners (3 No. DVB T2 nd 2 No. DVB T) on the system and yes I know that unmodified WMC only accepts 4 tuners of any one type - a totally random number since I have had anything upto 7 recognised and fully functional DVB T/T2 tuners on a modded 7 system.

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 1 Mac, 2. Hackintoshes, 1 PC, 2 HTPCs, iPhone, iPad, OS X, Windows 7

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Nov-12 08:53:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
I upgraded Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit to Windows 8 Pro 64 bit with no issues. I also downloaded Windows Media Center.

Only used windows media centre a few times on XP when i connected my laptop to the TV, I had a look at it on windows 7, but never really used it. If I keep windows 8 I will download WMC if it is free, but will store it, it may come in useful one year.

Adrian

Standard User cavillas
(knowledge is power) Tue 06-Nov-12 16:26:56
Print Post

[re: Desmond] [link to this post]

I have nothing but praise for Windows 8. The start button is now the start screen, everything works faster and stability is excellent. I have had windows 7 pro for quite q while and this upgrade has just improved things. It only needs a slightly different way of using Windows, hardly beyond the capacities of most normal people.

Alf
------------------------------------
smile IDNET Happiness Online smile
I am in no way employed or connected with IDnet other than as a customer.

There are 11 kinds of people, those who understand binary, those who don't and those who don't care.
Standard User janitor
(experienced) Tue 06-Nov-12 20:17:07
Print Post

Thanks all, I wasn't sure if you could save the install files as a iso, or if you could re download it if you had to reinstall. Have saved it to a flash drive for future reinstalls.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Nov-12 12:50:56
Print Post

[re: cavillas] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cavillas:
I have nothing but praise for Windows 8. The start button is now the start screen, everything works faster and stability is excellent. I have had windows 7 pro for quite q while and this upgrade has just improved things. It only needs a slightly different way of using Windows, hardly beyond the capacities of most normal people.

I used windows 7 before it was even available for the public to use,, then once MS made it available as a Beta, developer preview or what ever they called it, i installed it on my main computer and stuck with windows 7 since.

It was the first windows since 98SE that I really liked and wanted to use as soon as possible.
95 was pushed onto me as it was the only Os I new about at the time for PC and it was the one that everyone had, coming from a Amiga it was different smile
98Se was good, really stable and fast for it's time, ME was useless.

When windows XP came out, it took me over 12 months to update, and only then because I built a new computer was was more powerful. i did not like XP at the start to be honest, but I got used to it. i think the problem was even with the new faster machine it still felt slow and unresponsive.

in the years that followed, my computer got updated , renewed with faster and faster hardware, more memory and Xp started to shine.

I used vista on my laptop and stuck it on my desktop for a while, but soon took it off, then windows 7 came.

It was fast, reliable and software that did crash did not take the computer with it, just the software. The UI looked good, the new taskbar was great, allow me to pin my icons to it, a great idea.

Now we got windows 8. Sure it is faster than windows 7, not sure about reliability at the moment, still got a few problems, but that could be compatibility with software, my Incredimail seems to freeze and I had problems with Dragon browser doing the same thing.

I must admit , I still don't like the start screen, it just don't work on a desktop, I even tried putting stuff into groups today, but still strange to use.

i got classic shell on, so I can now get a start menu and I can bypass the start screen.

Another problem I have is the desktop, it is flat and I find it difficult to make out the windows when they overlap and which one is active, the colours are drab and the desktop just looks drab.

i will see how it goes tomorrow when I got some video editing to do and if Vegas holds up on it and i will use it over the weekend and if I still think it is not for me, I will get a refund.

i also think that the only reason so many people have decided to upgrade is because of the price, if it was the same price as windows 7 was, then it would struggle.

Adrian

Edited by zyborg47 (Wed 07-Nov-12 12:52:09)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to