Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User janitor
(experienced) Sat 17-Nov-12 19:36:45
Print Post

Windows 8 bootcamp activation

[link to this post]

I have windows 8 installed in bootcamp on my mac, I use the bootcamp install as my virtual machine, in VMware. Every time I boot into bootcamp I get a message saying windows needs activation, but the virtual machine is still showing as activated, is there any way to keep them both activated, or do I need two licences.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sat 17-Nov-12 19:50:53
Print Post

Re: Windows 8 bootcamp activation

[re: janitor] [link to this post]

Two licenses. Two different installations.

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Nov-12 09:47:22
Print Post

why on earth would anyone want windows on a MAC? you pay over the top to get a machine that have a different OS on and then you downgrade it with windows.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALLPAY Wireless broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Grocket
(newbie) Sun 18-Nov-12 10:32:34
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

If you are running Windows then you need a certified, activated, version just as you would have on a Windows only machine. I can see why you would want to do this. My reasons are that I have a legacy of Windows programmes that I don't want to replace. In fact some are not available for the Mac. Changing to Mac alternatives is a long term aim but in particular I have used MS Money since 1994 and have yet to find a sensible Mac equivalent.
I only use it for everyday accounts of my banking, credit cards and a few ISA investments. Budgeting etc. are not important. Anything I have found comes nowhere near MS Money for simplicity of use. Also I would want to include all my historical data. I am using a 2001 version and for some strange reason it is not easy to update the data to later versions. Microsoft no longer support Money.
I use Parallels rather than Bootcamp as it makes the whole thing much easier.
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sun 18-Nov-12 14:16:07
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

WIndows on a Mac is as useful as on a PC. I use it to run some software that simply isn't available on a Mac. It's not software I run often, so I'm not about to buy a PC Laptop to go with my Macbook especially to run it and I'm certainly not prepared to lug both about!. Buying a Windows licence and Parallels is a far better option. It means I can have the best of all worlds (Boot into OS X or Windows or run Windows virtually from the Bootcamp partition) It's running right now here since I've been working on an MS Project document and haven't bothered shutting the Parallels session down.

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 1 Mac, 2. Hackintoshes, 1 PC, 2 HTPCs, iPhone, iPad, OS X, Windows 7

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sun 18-Nov-12 15:14:03
Print Post

I'm assuming you are booting Win 8 from the Boot Camp partition using Fusion? This might help, I'm not sure how the licensing works but if I'm right it looks like you'd need another licence to me since you would have two installs (the Boot Camp one and a clone of it). It also soundls like a complete nuisance and a bad use of disk space. Parallels allows you to boot the Boot Camp partition itself so since there is only one physical install only one WIndows licence is ever needed.

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 1 Mac, 2. Hackintoshes, 1 PC, 2 HTPCs, iPhone, iPad, OS X, Windows 7

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User janitor
(experienced) Sun 18-Nov-12 20:30:08
Print Post

[re: Desmond] [link to this post]

No VMware boots the boot camp version, any changes, additional program's or downloaded files in one also appear in the other, which is why I'm puzzled to need two licences, its one install that can be accessed in two ways.
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Nov-12 20:33:06
Print Post

You are accessing it on two different machines. One is the Macintosh, the other is the emulated hardware. Windows sees these as two different computers (because they contain different hardware), hence the need for two activations. Having said that, I don't see any way that you can apply two licences to the one install. I think you have a problem trying to access this one install as both a real and a virtual machine.

Edited by AEP (Sun 18-Nov-12 20:35:12)

Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Mon 19-Nov-12 19:55:35
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

I think you have a problem trying to access this one install as both a real and a virtual machine.

That's exactly what the poster is trying to do and if VMWare Fusion works the same as Parallels then it should work perfectly so long as things are working properly and were done in exactly the right order. I certainly does for me with Windows 7.

I'd suggest the poster needs to start from scratch with a clean install of WIndows 8 from a DVD or USB stick (Absolutely never use an upgrade route with a Bootcamp based VM) I'd stick with 7 myself because it is proven to work and 8 offers almost nothing but unfamiliarity to someone who just needs occasional access to Windows on a Mac. If they really must stick with 8 then they can expect problems like this for months until things settle down. To start with 8 is not supported as far as Apple is concerned in Bootcamp. People installing it find mileage varies according to their exact machine and software. VMWare and Parallels may claim it works as a Bootcamp based VM, but a quick look at support boards reveals no end of users with problems of exactly the sort the OP has. There really are times when IIABDFI is the best policy.

Des

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Mon 19-Nov-12 20:04:03
Print Post

How did you install? Upgrade from 7 or clean? If it was an upgrade give up now and start again with an install of 8 from scratch (or 7 since I assume you know that works). Either way you'll need to check the exact order VMWare say you should adopt in terms of creating the VM from the Bootcamp partition. i.e. must you activate the install before creating the VM and and after installing the VM tools/drivers or before installing them and should you activate when booted directly or booted as VM. There are lots of variables and usually it only works properly when everything is done in the right order.

Des

Rehab is for quitters

Edited by Desmond (Mon 19-Nov-12 20:15:41)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to