Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User McGill_2010
(newbie) Sun 25-Nov-12 15:05:40
Print Post

Windows 7

[link to this post]

i currently have windows 7 upgrade media which means anytime i want to reinstall 7 i have to install xp then upgrade.

what i want to know is if i buy this http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004Q0PT3I/ref=asc_df_B00...

will it eliminate the need to install xp before upgrading to 7, also my computers a custom built machine

Niall
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 25-Nov-12 15:14:28
Print Post

Re: Windows 7

[re: McGill_2010] [link to this post]

That seems a lot of money to spend to avoid the slight inconvenience of having to install XP and then upgrade to a clean 7 install. Be aware that you won't be able to use the OEM version on more than one PC, so if you upgrade your hardware significantly then you'll have to buy another copy.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 25-Nov-12 15:25:08
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

^What AEP says.

You would be wiser just buying Windows 8 digital download for £25 and jumping from XP to 8!

Zen 8000 Pro

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 25-Nov-12 18:39:36
Print Post

No you don't
http://winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-inst...
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sun 25-Nov-12 19:37:47
Print Post

The upgrade media will allow you to install without putting XP on first. What you may have an issue with is activation. As far as I'm aware the 7 installer checks the disk for a previous installation before doing anything else so so long as there is an existing activated installation on the disk of XP or 7 with the same serial as you use for the new install when you boot from the upgrade DVD it just works even if you delete the partition or reformat the disk while installing. It will also do the same if you insert the disk when booted from the old install and then launch the Windows installer from it. The install will work even on a clean disk, but you may end up talking to someone in India (and quoting the serial of the XP you are upgrading) to get it actvated.

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 1 Mac, 2. Hackintoshes, 1 PC, 2 HTPCs, iPhone, iPad, OS X, Windows 7

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User martinsq
(regular) Sun 25-Nov-12 22:25:28
Print Post

Re: Windows 7 *DELETED*

[re: Desmond] [link to this post]

Post deleted by MrSaffron
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 26-Nov-12 09:56:24
Print Post

Re: Windows 7 *DELETED*

[re: martinsq] [link to this post]

Link deleted

And the actual software had already been removed from destination site anyway

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Nov-12 12:28:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by McGill_2010:
i currently have windows 7 upgrade media which means anytime i want to reinstall 7 i have to install xp then upgrade.

what i want to know is if i buy this http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004Q0PT3I/ref=asc_df_B00...

will it eliminate the need to install xp before upgrading to 7, also my computers a custom built machine

Niall

answer yes
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 27-Nov-12 10:14:22
Print Post

I had Vista and received a free upgrade disc to Win 7. After a hard drive issue I replaced the same and used the upgrade disc only to reinstall Win 7.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
  Print Thread

Jump to