Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 27-Nov-12 23:45:22
Print Post

Multiple windows

[link to this post]

I read an article yesterday, (can't find it again at the moment to link or quote frown ), that with Win 8 the whole point of Windows is gone because you can only view one window at a time. That you can't have multiple windows visible simultaneously.

Is that true?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Nov-12 00:00:08
Print Post

Re: Multiple windows

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It is (kind of) with Modern UI (Metro) apps, as they are designed to be full screen. But you can actually use "snap" to have more than one open at once. As far as I know strictly speaking they aren't actually windowed programs anyway.

The desktop stuff is unchanged, in fact, supports multiple windows better than previous versions, which is all you need to be concerned about really.

Zen 8000 Pro

Edited by Pipexer (Wed 28-Nov-12 00:00:24)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 28-Nov-12 00:16:28
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Phew! Thanks smile.

I wish I could find it, as it went on to prophesy doom for MS. Maybe another day I will come across it. It was an article in Flipboard, but proving elusive now.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Wed 28-Nov-12 00:26:29
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Here's some commentary:

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/windows-8.html

Lack of Multiple Windows = Memory Overload for Complex Tasks

One of the worst aspects of Windows 8 for power users is that the product's very name has become a misnomer. "Windows" no longer supports multiple windows on the screen. Win8 does have an option to temporarily show a second area in a small part of the screen, but none of our test users were able to make this work. Also, the main UI restricts users to a single window, so the product ought to be renamed "Microsoft Window."

The single-window strategy works well on tablets and is required on a small phone screen. But with a big monitor and dozens of applications and websites running simultaneously, a high-end PC user definitely benefits from the ability to see multiple windows at the same time. Indeed, the most important web use cases involve collecting, comparing, and choosing among several web pages, and such tasks are much easier with several windows when you have the screen space to see many things at once.

When users can't view several windows simultaneously, they must keep information from one window in short-term memory while they activate another window. This is problematic for two reasons. First, human short-term memory is notoriously weak, and second, the very task of having to manipulate a window—instead of simply glancing at one that's already open—further taxes the user's cognitive resources.

I reckon I'll give it a miss. It's not unusual for me to have multiple explorers, mulitple FF tabs (on more than one browser window too), multiple calcs, multiple spreadsheets and multiple MS Paints all at the same time.

It sounds as if MS and Google (per another thread) are filling their pants over the mobile device market and are forgetting the bread and butter of the market (the productivity - a.k.a. the devices which create the content for the mobile devices).

Another notch for Linux when I change systems.

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Standard User DavidFinbarr
(freechataholic) Wed 28-Nov-12 01:13:53
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

I'm been giving Win 8 ago.

tried the UI, and on a wide-screen monitor it doesn't work well, I don't need everything to be full screen.
The best setting I have found is to use it like Win 7 and then it works well.

Whoever decided to remove "Start" should no longer have a job

A bottle of white, a bottle of red
Perhaps a bottle of rosé instead.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Wed 28-Nov-12 01:50:13
Print Post

[re: DavidFinbarr] [link to this post]

If you look at Vista (winsxs), Office 2007 (ribbon), Google (recent thread), Win8 (this thread) there's one thing in common:

All the ideas are change for the sake of change, usually to disable the user (as opposed to enable) from being able to use certain features. Some features from pre-office 2007 are gone, and appear in separate applications (more revenue).

"We'll get you used to it, then get you hooked on it, then force you to pay more for it."

No new ideas is the common denominator. Change for changes sake, features disappearing and re-appearing elsewhere, no real direction, other than pro-mobile device (which is fine, but give all consumers a choice).

Wide screen monitors...take that as an example. Can you get a decent sized 4:3 monitor for a decent price?

Now it seems Win8 is no good for those. What's the betting we'll move to mobile or back to 4:3

Re-inventing themselves. smile

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Nov-12 07:13:46
Print Post

Having played around with WindowsRT programming, I can assure you that the writer of that article has got things completely wrong. Applications do not store their state in RAM when not the active application, as they can do in conventional Windows programming. One of the main aims of WindowsRT is to make efficient use of restricted resources; it does this very well. It also allows the state of an application to be shared across separate devices.

And, as Pipexer says, conventional Windows programs still run just fine. To make a slightly far-fetched analogy, it's a bit like if all cars were 4 wheel drive. Then someone invents a car which can be switched between 4 wheel and 2 wheel drive (and it was cheaper and more fuel efficient than the 4 wheel drives). It would be a different car, but undoubtedly a better one.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Nov-12 07:36:14
Print Post

Camie - none of that applies to desktop apps, therefore not affecting your multiple FF tabs and what not. I would have expected you to have known better!

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 28-Nov-12 08:18:53
Print Post

Thanks camieabz, that quote is word for word what I read, though the article you link to is not the same one. I assume it's the same author smile.

I haven't yet read the article you link to - it looks to have a lot more info then the other, but from other people's comments in this thread it sounds as though the guy is up the spout about it.

Kettle has boiled - back to bed now, before dismantling it! (The bed).

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Nov-12 08:38:25
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

i find even with the desktop windows 8 is not as good at multitasking as windows 7.
sure you can open windows galore, but you try doing a few things at once and the windows 8 just stops.

I was getting Vegas to render a HD video, ok I know that rendering takes up a fair bit of processing power,, certainly on my computer as my video card is not really up to the job of hard ware rendering and my version of Vegas can't render Mpeg using hardware acceleration anyway.

Anyway, using Vegas and trying to look on the net at the same time using Dragon browser, now my computer with windows 7 will do it, ok it is a bit slow, but it will do it, windows 8, just could not cope and would not even open the browser.

that is one of the reasons why windows 7 is now back on my machine.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to