Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Mon 14-Jan-13 17:39:33
Print Post

Windows 7 repair

[link to this post]

A friend asked to see if I could fix her Acer Aspire 5332 laptop running Windows 7 as it wouldn't start up.

She brought it to me yesterday and I've had a look this afternoon. It started up into Windows load and then said (something like) Windows failed to start last time with options to Repair or load. Rightly or wrongly I chose Repair.

It went into the repair sequence and after a few minutes of activity, including a warning that it could take an hour (IIRC), said it needed to restart. It restarted and, for the past 3-4 hours, has been sitting with a largely blank screen, just the mouse 'arrow' cursor, which is moveable with the pad; in addition the HDD light is pulsing every half-second or so. So clearly some aspect of the system is running.

Anyone know if there's any way of knowing whether it's making any progress with the repair, or is it just 'twiddling its bits'?

How long should I leave it in this state?

Any thoughts about the consequences of forcing it to close and reboot?

Tony
Standard User techguy
(committed) Mon 14-Jan-13 17:43:15
Print Post

Re: Windows 7 repair

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Reboot the system and keep tapping F8

Select Last Known good configuration and see how hat goes.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale)
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Jan-13 18:16:20
Print Post

Just switch it off, it wont case any problems... Try last known good as suggested, failing that, try running a CHKDSK on the volume. As usual, they've either done something seriously goofy OR there is a hardware problem for this to have occurred.

Zen 8000 Pro

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(knowledge is power) Mon 14-Jan-13 19:03:18
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Thanks for both replies, I'm about to go out - to a Geek's evening grin and won't have chance to progress until tomorrow afternoon or later. I'll leave it running as it is until then - just in case (though I doubt anything will change).

Tony
Standard User cavillas
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Jan-13 16:25:23
Print Post

Could always try a Bootfix and FixMBR from Command consul. It sounds like there is a corrupt file somewhere.

Alf
------------------------------------
smile IDNET Happiness Online smile
I am in no way employed or connected with IDnet other than as a customer.

There are 11 kinds of people, those who understand binary, those who don't and those who don't care.
(knowledge is power) Tue 15-Jan-13 22:24:10
Print Post

[re: cavillas] [link to this post]

I got it to load via Last Known Good Configuration.

It seems a bit hit and miss at the moment as to whether it loads or hangs. The W7 setup is somewhat out of date, doesn't yet have SP1 so I'm trying to install that, so far unsuccessfully.

After 'installing' it reboots then goes to Configure Service Pack, that gets to 99% and then fails and reverses the update. I've Googled around and removed the AV, removed Trusteer Rapport which one forumee found cured his problem. I've run the readiness tool, all to no avail.

There seem to be a lot of Windows Update failures in the past, I only hope I don't have to install them one by one...

I feel if I can get SP1 to install then I can move forward, until then...

Any thoughts welcome.

Tony
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 15-Jan-13 22:31:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
After 'installing' it reboots then goes to Configure Service Pack, that gets to 99% and then fails and reverses the update.
May be no help, but a Vista laptop did that to me once.

I did the same as you (removed AV etc), no joy. Eventually I did a major "clean-up"- deleted all temporary files, ran chkdsk, defragged the HDD, one or two other things that I forget now and then it worked.

But the full defrag took ages... eventually I just left it running and went to bed frown

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(knowledge is power) Tue 15-Jan-13 22:50:08
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

I've run Ccleaner on it to get rid of much of that sort of stuff. I've just tried another time and it's failed again frown.

I'll defrag overnight and see how it behaves in the morning.

Tony
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Jan-13 23:33:15
Print Post

Dont bother with defrag, this is not the issue unless you have extremely low free space.

Download the Windows 7 SP1 Update Package directly from the Microsoft Website. The most probably cause (80-90%) is that the package downloaded via Windows Update has become corrupt. Yes you would expect it to just reject it before it gets deep into the stage of installing it but that is not always the case.

If this does not work

a1) disable Windows update fully
a) Run a CHKDSK /X
b) Reboot the computer once
c) Run disk cleanup
d) Run and install ALL available Windows Updates APART from Windows 7 SP1
e) Reboot the computer and continue to do this until the only package left is Windows 7 SP1
f) Run the downloaded SP1 update again from the download, not from Windows Update.
if this fails
g) run sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt
if this passes
h) Check the windows update logs
if it reports integrity violations
i) consider reinstalling the OS, this should not normally report a problem, it is fixable, but it is probably quicker to reinstall the OS.

sorry post not pretty.

Zen 8000 Pro

Edited by Pipexer (Tue 15-Jan-13 23:34:51)

Standard User as66670
(newbie) Wed 16-Jan-13 00:28:03
Print Post

ALT and F10 at start up...this will access the hidden image of the HDD and allow you to carry out a repair or factory reset. The repair will obviously preserve the data.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to