Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User samulam
(committed) Sat 19-Jan-13 22:17:04
Print Post

from pop to imap

[link to this post]

I use live mail on my win 8 laptop. If I change to imap, would I lose current emails/messages etc ? If not is it a matter of going to tools> accounts and change the settings and henceforth I can keep my old system and the new system just carries on when it commences.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-Jan-13 01:47:23
Print Post

Re: from pop to imap

[re: samulam] [link to this post]

Not sure I understand the Q.

IMAP will keep your msgs on the mail server and keep your mail client, WLM, in sync with it. You will keep any msgs in the mail client that you previously POP3'ed and did not leave on the server.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User FractalFragger
(newbie) Sun 27-Jan-13 21:02:03
Print Post

[re: samulam] [link to this post]

Hi,

by changing to IMAP you will have better control of ermails on the mail server, however the datafile that live mail created when u made the POP account will inaccesable to the IMAP account so from a viewing them in live mail perspective, yes you will lose them but the datafile will still be there... it a case of getting them out and sticking them in.

METHOD:
- add the account as IMAP in live mail without removing the POP account#
- drag all messages from the inbox of the POP account to the IMAP account
- delete the POP account.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Jan-13 21:48:35
Print Post

[re: FractalFragger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by FractalFragger:
so from a viewing them in live mail perspective, yes you will lose them but the datafile will still be there... it a case of getting them out and sticking them in.
No, you won't lose them; they will still be there in the Local Folders of WLM. It's just a case of leaving them there and deleting any as and when you want to. Never mind the datafiles, you will see the individual msgs.

The newer IMAP msgs will be held under a separate folder structure under the IMAP server name.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to