Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User samulam
(committed) Mon 04-Feb-13 16:41:17
Print Post

what email program in windows 8

[link to this post]

what email program comes with windows 8? and is it a pop or imap version?
and finally would Microsoft outlook work with windows 8 ?
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 04-Feb-13 16:59:35
Print Post

Re: what email program in windows 8

[re: samulam] [link to this post]

it's called MAIL - by Microsoft Corporation, v16.4.4406.1205

It offers Exchange, imap and pop under "add another type of account"

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User cavillas
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 04-Feb-13 19:34:49
Print Post

Microsoft Outlook from Office 2010 and 2007 work ok with windows 8.

Alf
------------------------------------
smile IDNET Happiness Online smile
I am in no way employed or connected with IDnet other than as a customer.

There are 11 kinds of people, those who understand binary, those who don't and those who don't care.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 04-Feb-13 22:24:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by samulam:
what email program comes with windows 8? and is it a pop or imap version?
and finally would Microsoft outlook work with windows 8 ?

None as far as I know apart from the mail app for hotmail or what ever they call it now.

I presume you can still still download and use the mail live desktop app. i use incredimail myself, does the job.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User mikeathome
(newbie) Wed 06-Feb-13 16:03:00
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Hi, have i missed something? I got thro' to the options but on clicking POP it says it doesn't take POP. I work with my original freenetname account with a domain on top. I raised a ticket but the reply gave me links in microsoft help all of which seem to make life tricky - to me anyway. i have got the maaf pop mail into win 7 live mail tho' the mail is still left on the server unlike xp outlook express. you can tell I am struggling with two new concepts here 7 and 8!! All due to a total hard-drive failure.Any advice appreciated.

Every day is a greater proportion of the remainder of your life, so use it wisely.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Feb-13 17:04:10
Print Post

[re: mikeathome] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mikeathome:
i have got the maaf pop mail into win 7 live mail tho' the mail is still left on the server unlike xp outlook express.
There's a box you can UNtick, under "Advanced", in WLM that will delete msgs from server, just like OE.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 06-Feb-13 17:33:55
Print Post

Hi, have i missed something? I got thro' to the options but on clicking POP it says it doesn't take POP.
I think the confusion surrounding whether the Windows 8 Mail app supports POP or not is because POP support wasn’t introduced until a new version that was released post RTM but just before official release in early October.

If you have upgraded and are using the release version of 8, visit the store to ensure you have the very latest versions of the built-in apps, then you can open mail, go to the settings charm, accounts, add account, other account and then choose POP.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Feb-13 19:44:43
Print Post

Hi, have i missed something? I got thro' to the options but on clicking POP it says it doesn't take POP. I work with my original freenetname account with a domain on top. I raised a ticket but the reply gave me links in microsoft help all of which seem to make life tricky - to me anyway. i have got the maaf pop mail into win 7 live mail tho' the mail is still left on the server unlike xp outlook express. you can tell I am struggling with two new concepts here 7 and 8!! All due to a total hard-drive failure.Any advice appreciated.

I have just tried to use Win 8 Mail for a Pop3 account and mail came back with Mail doesnt support Pop3 and I have the latest app. The good news is freenetname supports IMAP and the server is the same just a different port. Try IMAP.

Having said that I moved all my archive into Windows Live Mail and now use that but its handy having win 8 mail display a message when I have new mail I then go to Live Mail 2012 to read and delete or archive it.

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Variety LLU
My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Banger (Wed 06-Feb-13 19:46:17)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 06-Feb-13 20:03:40
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

I have just tried to use Win 8 Mail for a Pop3 account and mail came back with Mail doesnt support Pop3
So it does, gives you a POP3 option to select and then doesn't support it. LOL @ Microsoft.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User HTTP404
(learned) Wed 06-Feb-13 21:09:52
Print Post

The native mail program in Windows 8 does not support POP.

But just go into desktop, download your favourite mail client (WLM or Outlook or whatever you want) and set them up as normal (exactly as you had them in Windows 7 or XP or ??).

POP or IMAP whatever you choose. Put a tile on the Start screen if you want. Seamless and transparent.

Edited by HTTP404 (Wed 06-Feb-13 21:12:46)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to