Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 04-Feb-13 22:35:34
Print Post

Windows 8 and 16 bit install progs

[link to this post]

Tried to install a couple of programs on windows 8 and up popped 16 bit support dialog and I enabled but both programs fail to install. One program an Electronic parts list for my car gets stuck in a setup loop with setup popping in and out of the task list on task manager which is impossible to stop and had to sign out to end. I managed to install it in XP mode under a virtual machine on VMLite so found a workaround but not the same as Win 8 is supposed to support 16 bit apps natively.

The second program has a WISE installation program and falls over trying to install Verdana font so I'm guessing Win 8 fonts are protected and this is why the install program hangs. This is the electronic workshop manual for my car, again had to install in XP mode virtual machine.

Any thoughts?

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Variety LLU
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User EnglishRob
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Feb-13 23:21:43
Print Post

Re: Windows 8 and 16 bit install progs

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Do you have the 64-Bit or 32-Bit version of Windows 8?

Not used Windows 8 much myself but I gather from the days of 64-Bit Windows XP, all 64-Bit releases of Windows have dropped support for 16-Bit applications, only the 32-Bit releases of Windows (XP, Vista, 7 at least, as I say not entirely sure about Windows 8) support 16-Bit applications.

As for the Wise installer, did you run it as an administrator? If it's a 32-Bit application then you might be able to get away with running it either as an administrator or with UAC disabled (generally not recommended by Microsoft). If it's a 16-Bit application, I'd maybe consider trying Windows 3.1 in a virtual machine smile

Rob

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Virgin Media XL 30 Meg broadband
Vodafone PAYG 3G Modem
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Feb-13 00:38:29
Print Post

Re: Windows 8 and 16 bit install progs

[re: EnglishRob] [link to this post]

Its 32 bit Win 8. Like I said in OP both programs run fine in XP so I can run them in an XP virtual machine. The first program is a 16 bit installer for a 32 bit program. The 2nd gets stuck at trying to install Verdana font which appears to be a system font and I think Windows File Protection is stopping the font being overwritten. Both programs are 2010 year but will have to suffice with them in a XP virtual machine I guess.

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Variety LLU
My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to