Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TLM
(legend) Fri 01-Mar-13 10:42:42
Print Post

Windows 7: Way to remove/disable Hide/Show desktop button?

[link to this post]

Because of its proximity to the browser scroll down arrow (bottom R.H. corner), I keep hitting this stupid button accidentally, resulting in sudden disappearance of whatever I was looking at. It's not lost, as I can hit the button again to restore it to view, but that's not the point - it's irritating!

I can't see any useful purpose to this button, but also can't see any way to disable or remove it, so I don't keep pressing accidentally. Is there a way?

T.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Mar-13 11:04:58
Print Post

Re: Windows 7: Way to remove/disable Hide/Show desktop butto

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

Right click and delete it.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 01-Mar-13 11:14:07
Print Post

The only way to stop getting the problem is to not have the browser full screen so it is further away from it - but it is by design so you are stuck with a totally useless button which I never use

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 01-Mar-13 11:16:04
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

I take it you're not familiar with Windows 7.

It's a continuing gripe with many people, but I'm not aware of any reliable answer. There is a free program that claims to remove the button, but it has many reviews that says it doesn't work and just makes the situation worse.
Standard User andew
(member) Fri 01-Mar-13 11:17:34
Print Post

Hi,

I found this which is suppose to remove the hide/show desktop button ( it certainly worked for me )

http://www.door2windows.com/windows-7-show-desktop-b...

Andrew
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 01-Mar-13 11:22:27
Print Post

Lateral thinking. You could always move the taskbar to the left side of the screen. Less chance of interference there, and you trade a little horizontal space for more vertical space, which can be useful.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 01-Mar-13 11:27:49
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AEP:
Lateral thinking. You could always move the taskbar to the left side of the screen. Less chance of interference there, and you trade a little horizontal space for more vertical space, which can be useful.
I'm not familiar with W7, but that's what I've done on the Macs (though to the right rather than the left). Along with reducing the size considerably from the default- don't know if that's an option in Windows.

The interference problem isn't a factor in my case, but the different utilisation of screen real estate definitely is.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 01-Mar-13 11:32:09
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

It takes a little getting used to if you are a long-time Windows user. You can put the task bar against any edge, but only the left one would deal with Tina's problem.

As this is a common layout with many Unix desktops I have no problem adapting to it. If I had a wide-screen monitor (as almost all new ones are) it would make even more sense. There's my excuse to go shopping! smile
Standard User TrishaH
(committed) Fri 01-Mar-13 11:47:24
Print Post

I always have my task bar hidden ..you need to move the cursor right to the bottom to have it pop-up.

It actually took me a while to find the 'show desktop' button when I first got W7.

Standard User philippercival
(experienced) Fri 01-Mar-13 11:53:07
Print Post

My copy of Windows 7 was an upgrade from Vista, so looks a little different. I certainly do not have the Desktop button (which I use the whole time) next to my start button, so it must be possible to change it. Unfortunately I do not have a computer with Native Win 7 to give complete instructions.

Try

Pointing at the taskbar, right click and make sure that "Lock the taskbar" is not ticked.
(if it is click on Lock the task bar)

Point at the desktop icon, right click and see if either "Unpin this Icon" or delete are available.

If not then there should be some sliders (thin grey lines) to the left of each section of your task bar, try moving the sliders, to move the desktop ican further away.

Point at the desktop icon, hold down you left mouse button and drag it along the taskbar and see if that repositions it. (this may only be temporary).

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to