Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TLM
(legend) Fri 01-Mar-13 10:42:42
Print Post

Windows 7: Way to remove/disable Hide/Show desktop button?

[link to this post]

Because of its proximity to the browser scroll down arrow (bottom R.H. corner), I keep hitting this stupid button accidentally, resulting in sudden disappearance of whatever I was looking at. It's not lost, as I can hit the button again to restore it to view, but that's not the point - it's irritating!

I can't see any useful purpose to this button, but also can't see any way to disable or remove it, so I don't keep pressing accidentally. Is there a way?

T.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Mar-13 11:04:58
Print Post

Re: Windows 7: Way to remove/disable Hide/Show desktop butto

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

Right click and delete it.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 01-Mar-13 11:14:07
Print Post

The only way to stop getting the problem is to not have the browser full screen so it is further away from it - but it is by design so you are stuck with a totally useless button which I never use

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 01-Mar-13 11:16:04
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

I take it you're not familiar with Windows 7.

It's a continuing gripe with many people, but I'm not aware of any reliable answer. There is a free program that claims to remove the button, but it has many reviews that says it doesn't work and just makes the situation worse.
Standard User andew
(member) Fri 01-Mar-13 11:17:34
Print Post

Hi,

I found this which is suppose to remove the hide/show desktop button ( it certainly worked for me )

http://www.door2windows.com/windows-7-show-desktop-b...

Andrew
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 01-Mar-13 11:22:27
Print Post

Lateral thinking. You could always move the taskbar to the left side of the screen. Less chance of interference there, and you trade a little horizontal space for more vertical space, which can be useful.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 01-Mar-13 11:27:49
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AEP:
Lateral thinking. You could always move the taskbar to the left side of the screen. Less chance of interference there, and you trade a little horizontal space for more vertical space, which can be useful.
I'm not familiar with W7, but that's what I've done on the Macs (though to the right rather than the left). Along with reducing the size considerably from the default- don't know if that's an option in Windows.

The interference problem isn't a factor in my case, but the different utilisation of screen real estate definitely is.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 01-Mar-13 11:32:09
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

It takes a little getting used to if you are a long-time Windows user. You can put the task bar against any edge, but only the left one would deal with Tina's problem.

As this is a common layout with many Unix desktops I have no problem adapting to it. If I had a wide-screen monitor (as almost all new ones are) it would make even more sense. There's my excuse to go shopping! smile
Standard User TrishaH
(committed) Fri 01-Mar-13 11:47:24
Print Post

I always have my task bar hidden ..you need to move the cursor right to the bottom to have it pop-up.

It actually took me a while to find the 'show desktop' button when I first got W7.

Standard User philippercival
(experienced) Fri 01-Mar-13 11:53:07
Print Post

My copy of Windows 7 was an upgrade from Vista, so looks a little different. I certainly do not have the Desktop button (which I use the whole time) next to my start button, so it must be possible to change it. Unfortunately I do not have a computer with Native Win 7 to give complete instructions.

Try

Pointing at the taskbar, right click and make sure that "Lock the taskbar" is not ticked.
(if it is click on Lock the task bar)

Point at the desktop icon, right click and see if either "Unpin this Icon" or delete are available.

If not then there should be some sliders (thin grey lines) to the left of each section of your task bar, try moving the sliders, to move the desktop ican further away.

Point at the desktop icon, hold down you left mouse button and drag it along the taskbar and see if that repositions it. (this may only be temporary).

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 01-Mar-13 11:59:15
Print Post

[re: philippercival] [link to this post]

It's not next to the Start button. It's a very small area at the other end of the task bar, right in the bottom right corner. This is what is causing the problem. The right-click menu only has two items - "Show desktop" and "Peek at desktop". It is an integral feature of the Windows 7 task bar.
Standard User longedge
(member) Fri 01-Mar-13 12:41:29
Print Post

Ha! I've had my laptop getting on for 2 years now and it's the first time I've noticed this button. Makes me wonder how many other useful/irritating 'enhancements' I'm unaware of 8^)
(experienced) Fri 01-Mar-13 12:42:41
Print Post

My apologies, I did not read the post carefully enough. To be honest I had not really noticed it before and have created a quick launch took bar with it in, becuase it is an icon I use a lot. (Windows+M does the same thing).

THE GOOD NEWS. Andrew mentioned this remover above and it seems to work. I tried it and no howls from my anti virus stuff etc.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 01-Mar-13 20:11:29
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Ive always had my taskbar on the right from Win 2000 onwards, I just find it more intuitive.

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Variety LLU
My Broadband Speed Test
(experienced) Fri 01-Mar-13 21:41:59
Print Post

Another thought. The show desktop icon is a toggle, so if you click on it by mistake, then a second click will bring you back to where you were.

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 01-Mar-13 21:58:40
Print Post

That's very true. I guess that Tina just finds it disconcerting. I can't say that it has ever happened to me accidently.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 02-Mar-13 01:10:25
Print Post

Now enabling Peek in Win 8 is a useless function.

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Variety LLU
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 02-Mar-13 10:46:58
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Not as useless as this one
Move the mouse pointer over the far right end of Taskbar and all opened windows will become transparent. This is what Microsoft refers to as "X-ray vision".
So that when the mouse pointer is down at the bottom of the screen and, while typing, the mouse gets knocked sideways the window I am typing in goes transparent.
At least this "feature" can be disabled
Standard User dsergeant
(member) Sat 02-Mar-13 11:23:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by philippercival:
THE GOOD NEWS. Andrew mentioned this remover above and it seems to work. I tried it and no howls from my anti virus stuff etc.

I originally ran that utility when I first set up my Windows 7 machine then forgot totally about it - and also having totally forgotten that desktop button that just sits there taking up space. Until I set up a new user account... Although the website indicates you just run it when you need to, that is not quite true. It actually installs a small program sdbr.exe, in the Windows directory that is run each and every time you boot the machine - but it needs administrator privileges that it suddenly lost with the new account. I had long deleted the original program and it took some time to track down the offender, then remove it from my startup and Windows folder.

Think whether you really want to use third party programs like this...
Standard User TLM
(legend) Sat 02-Mar-13 23:40:47
Print Post

Indeed. No work is lost, but it's very disconcerting if you weren't expecting it, and suddenly whatever you were looking at disappears. It takes me a moment to realise what has happened, and sometimes I'm thinking the browser HAS crashed and lost everything, before I realise I must have hit the stupid button again.

I wouldn't mind as much if the button was good for anything useful, but I don't even have the consolation of feeling glad it's there, because it does come into its own occasionally. I don't think I've ever intentionally pressed it, just to have look at the desktop. As a rule, I'm not interested in the desktop, when a browser session or other application is open, but if I do want to quickly glance at it, I tend to do so just by minimising the active window. Same effect, but without needing a dedicated button for it.

T.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Sun 03-Mar-13 01:46:54
Print Post

Try this:

Run RegEdit
Navigate to [HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
Right-click DisablePreviewDesktop and select Modify
Enter a value of 1 to disable Preview Desktop functionality or 0 to re-enable
Close RegEdit
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Sun 03-Mar-13 01:49:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by AEP:
I take it you're not familiar with Windows 7

I am very familiar with it thank you. I simply misread the post.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 03-Mar-13 02:11:10
Print Post

This app will allow you to remove the button totally

http://rammichael.com/7-taskbar-tweaker

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 03-Mar-13 10:39:31
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Deadbeat:
Try this:

Run RegEdit
Navigate to [HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
Right-click DisablePreviewDesktop and select Modify
Enter a value of 1 to disable Preview Desktop functionality or 0 to re-enable
Close RegEdit
Doesn't work.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Sun 03-Mar-13 11:28:52
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
In reply to a post by Deadbeat:
Try this:
Doesn't work.

indeed, that just stops the information vanishing if you hover over that spot.

you could use the browser in true full screen (press f11), (f11 to return too)
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 03-Mar-13 18:37:41
Print Post

I don't see how you can accidentally hit the button. I didn't realise that was a button until this thread started.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 03-Mar-13 18:55:11
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

It's very useful, and its place is more logical than it was previously (as the old "show desktop" was in the quicklaunch area, when really, you are not quicklaunching anything...). It is still there in Windows 8, just invisible.

The freeware program I posted will do the job, and has been blogged about by Microsoft developers so it won't be too bad (but, still unsupported of course!)

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 03-Mar-13 18:58:43
Print Post

I think it's already been explained how that can happen when using the scroll down button. Personally, I use the PgUp/PgDn keys, because I prefer the keyboard to the mouse where possible, but I can see how it could easily happen. It really should be possible to easily remove this button. That's what I like about Linux desktops and window managers - they are very configurable (well, probably not Ubuntu, but that's not real Linux wink).
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 03-Mar-13 19:12:39
Print Post

I have read the thread but in 2 years I've never managed to hit the button once. Like you PgDown is a godsend.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 03-Mar-13 19:53:18
Print Post

I've never accidentally clicked it it but I have rolled over it accidentally at times. I can't remember the last time I used the up and down arrows on the scroll bar, I just drag the scroll box -- much faster. I do know someone who should know better who uses the arrows to scroll down massive lists (in active directory) and will spend 30 seconds holding the button down rather than the 2 seconds it takes me to either just use "find" or drag down the list.

Zen 8000 Pro
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to