Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Mar-13 12:49:35
Print Post

Microsoft fined £484m

[link to this post]

Tut tut

Tony
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Wed 06-Mar-13 12:55:35
Print Post

Re: Microsoft fined £484m

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

In theory the watchdog could have fined the firm 10% of its global annual revenue, which would have totalled $7.4bn based on its 2012 report.

That would have helped a few deficits, and prevented a rise in the EU budget. Note that the US Gov goes after non-US companies with plenty of effort (BP).

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Mar-13 13:06:12
Print Post

I have to say that I find this all a bit silly. A browser nowadays is an essential part of the OS and I don't see many (any?) companies actually selling them. It's a bit like Apple providing Safari with their OS - I see no big compaints about that.

It would be interesting to know what proportion of people, when faced with that unnecessary choice program, actually picked a browser other than IE. Now I must dash of a note to the EU complaining about the fact that Microsoft offer me only Visual Studio and don't point out that other compilers are available. Shocking.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User philippercival
(experienced) Wed 06-Mar-13 17:20:44
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

I agree. As they are all, or at least the ones I use free, I am not exactly sure what it is that is being stifled. Explorer is not actually my browser of choice, but it is fairly essential as far as I know to the Windows operating system, as it browses the local computer as well.

I do not see why Microsoft should distribute products from possible competitors as it just makes their system discs even more bloated.

I suspect there will now be an expensive appeal. Perhaps that is what the legal system is hoping so they are all kept in work.

http://speedtest.net/result/2459383290.png

Solar Results
Nov  143  Dec  125  Jan  77
Feb  174
Max Day  19
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Mar-13 18:19:20
Print Post

Why should Microsoft have to promote other browsers? What a farce. EC should be ashamed of themselves.

So I suppose based on the ECs logic if firefox or opera make their own operating system then the EC should demand Microsoft implement a warning screen to offer the user to uninstall Windows and use the competitors product instead?

Why just pick on the internet browser aspect?

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Mar-13 19:05:57
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

... and why not pick on it in the ubiquitous iOS? I see no splash screen there to invite me to use a browser other than Safari (despite the fact that it crashes with such ease). And it's not as if you can use the excuse that Apple is a smaller company than Microsoft.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Wed 06-Mar-13 19:43:22
Print Post

Should Google be forced to advertise multiple browsers or toolbars, other than just Chrome?

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Wed 06-Mar-13 21:42:27
Print Post

Silly or not MS agreed to include it as part of their settlement. They didn't so they deserve the fine.

Des

Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 1 Mac, 2. Hackintoshes, 1 PC, 2 HTPCs, iPhone, iPad, OS X, Windows 7, Hate and 8 rhyming is not an accident!

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Wed 06-Mar-13 21:49:58
Print Post

Safari doesn't crash for me. Chrome does frequently when I use it and it does have some nifty features thet mean I use it frequently. The difference is that Apple have never made the claim that Safari is an intrinsic part of Mac OS that cannot be uninstalled. This is the argument Micrsoft used in their cynical land grab back in the 1990s. They deserved everything they got when it came to regulators bearing doen on them when they had the dominance they had at that time. Maybe the time has arrived for them to go and talk to the regulators again, but they didn't do that before not including the option to select an alternate default browser.

Des

Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 1 Mac, 2. Hackintoshes, 1 PC, 2 HTPCs, iPhone, iPad, OS X, Windows 7, Hate and 8 rhyming is not an accident!

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Mar-13 22:01:49
Print Post

[re: Desmond] [link to this post]

They didn't for a certain version/time period. A percentage figure would be useful, because Windows 7 SP1 will not account for many installations when taking an average (you've got to include XP, Vista, 7 RTM, 8...)

I personally find the browser choice update a total pain in the [censored], if I happen to see it i HIDE it permanently.

It is a disgrace they are fining Microsoft this amount of money on such a pathetic issue - they should be fining companies that leak data and have massive privacy violations.

Zen 8000 Pro
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to