Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Apr-13 07:55:22
Print Post

IE10 slow to load

[link to this post]

Has anyone else noticed that the new version is very slow at loading? I installed it a couple of weeks ago and every morning when I fire it up it can take almost two minutes to load the Home Page. My connection is 65Mb/s when I test it, so that's not the problem. I've disabled most Add-ons too.

Dell Studio1558 with Win7 Home Premium 64bit 8GB RAM
IE9 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Apr-13 18:46:42
Print Post

Re: IE10 slow to load

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

not had that as a problem at all.

IanD
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Apr-13 18:56:20
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

I've updated Flash to the newest version and that seems to have helped. I was getting different sections of my Homepage loading randomly like you do with a slow connection and the whole thing took an age. It was the bits with video content embedded that seemed to take the longest - think I'll change from BBC News to Google.

Dell Studio1558 with Win7 Home Premium
8GB RAM
IE10 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
VM 120Mb/s (using Ethernet)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 13-Apr-13 10:23:57
Print Post

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

now you mention it, when IE10 kicked in the msn.co.uk site did not autoload correctly, so I changed my home page to another web site, which made it work ok. After about a week the msn site started to react normally again. I assume there must me some glitches in the IE10 vs web site rendering that people are still getting to grips with

IanD
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 13-Apr-13 12:02:17
Print Post

If sites worked previously why do MS mess things up with a new version?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 13-Apr-13 14:34:07
Print Post

Doubtful - IE10 has been part of Windows 8 since release and then in developer preview for another 6 months before that. In other words, sites have had over 1 year to prepare their sites for IE10 before it became available on Windows 7.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 13-Apr-13 15:54:40
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

I would normally agree with you, but this time I do not. I have used IE since it came free as IE4? and this is the first time I "noticed" odd behaviour once the new IE10 was installed. It was strange that once installed the msn.co.uk would not complete its rendering and did not do so for several days after, when it just then started to work again.

IanD
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 13-Apr-13 15:56:22
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

Its because new engines are used in the newer products and these are not exact 1-4-1 the same as before. I assume most of the MS systems have auto test development checks on them, but a new untested items slip through the net.

IanD
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 13-Apr-13 16:01:02
Print Post

I have been using IE10 for more than 6 months and my home page is MSN, so clearly, there is nothing wrong with MSN homepage (actually Microsoft updated MSN to work with IE10 before it was released with Windows 8) and it was something isolated to your computer.

It could have been a corrupt browser cache etc.

Zen 8000 Pro

Edited by Pipexer (Sat 13-Apr-13 16:02:02)

Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 13-Apr-13 16:48:14
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

and there's the rub, we will never know as there is not any user usable diagnostics built into the IE product set. Like you I have been using msn for a significant number of years. IE10 worked for you on the update, for me it did not. So if you were to look at it on a % basis, then various people would have problems on the change (like the original poster of this post and myself) and some would not (like you). It does not mean that everything is ok and each person reporting a fault's pc has an issue. It just means that some issue existed that effected a number of people that was not found during testing. What ever it was it fixed itself after 4-5 days.

Now just waiting for the next IExx instalment smile

IanD
  Print Thread

Jump to