Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 19-Apr-13 23:10:27
Print Post

HP Ultrabook 1202ea Touchscreen Win 8

[link to this post]

Bought one of these 8pm April 16, from John Lewis, due to the imminent demise of my Sony Vaio.

So far extremely pleased with it and with Win 8. I've just re-read this thread and think most of the criticisms stem from Windows RT.

Getting from the tiled "Start" screen to desktop mode is just a matter of tapping the bottom left (currently) tile for "Desktop". Pulled stuff across on a Seagate GoFlex, ignoring for now the pestilential Memeo backup software packaged with it.

Everything hunky-dory so far, though I am occasionally catching the touchpad with the ball of my right hand and messing things up when I do. It's wider and in a different position to my Vaio.

The touchscreen is a dream for website scrolling, especially on these forums, and tapping the links onscreen far more ergonomically friendly to my wrist and hand than touchpad and button use. Typing this on the real rather than onscreen keyboard, then using screen actions to click, scroll and post through the preview process, is so much easier than touchpad and button.

Just a bigger version of smartphone navigation really. I didn't expect to find touchscreens so useful on a laptop, and by extension on a normal computer.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 19-Apr-13 23:32:31
Print Post

Re: HP Ultrabook 1202ea Touchscreen Win 8

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I can't see why Win RT would be responsible for criticisms, more likely using Win 8 without a touchscreen.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 19-Apr-13 23:38:09
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Possibly. I only re-read it quickly.

But once you get to the desktop screen it is identical to Win 7 so far as I can see. That takes one click.

Where the restart button would be is interesting, as I can only see it from the side-swipe Power button.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 19-Apr-13 23:47:09
Print Post

Coincidentally, I just got a Macbook Air which is also quite similar to Win 7 smile

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 20-Apr-13 00:28:41
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Same I got mine quite recently.

I tried out a few windows 8 devices. I didn't like the windows updates on windows 8 especially. It always fails and has to retry over and over... It's because it tries to install too many updates at once...
I just find OSX far smoother on websites, touchpad etc.

Overall though I really like windows 8. For me the issue is to get something on Windows 8 that I like is as expensive as the macbook air & then I swing to the apple product. I get around 17% apple discount I think though.

That said my macbook has a habit of randomly rebooting around once every few weeks. Need to go to apple about that at some stage.

I bet the HP Ultrabook 1202ea is beautiful though. It looks stunning.
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 20-Apr-13 00:29:55
Print Post

I'm a big fan of windows 8 though. I don't see the big fuss. It's just like windows 7 with apps added.
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 20-Apr-13 06:41:23
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Random reboots and shutdowns can indicate that the lappy thinks it's overheating when it's not. Temperature sensor?

Dell Studio1558 with Win7 Home Premium
8GB RAM
IE10 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
VM 120Mb/s (using Ethernet)
Standard User cavillas
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Apr-13 10:06:40
Print Post

I use Windows 8 on my main machne, no touch screen. I find it more responsive than windows 7 also more applications run much better than they did before. Just installed Classic Start Menu button and it loads straight into desktop. Best MS OS yet.

Alf
------------------------------------
smile IDNET Happiness Online smile
I am in no way employed or connected with IDnet other than as a customer.

There are 11 kinds of people, those who understand binary, those who don't and those who don't care.
Standard User Sark
(legend) Sat 20-Apr-13 10:12:34
Print Post

I can confirm there are adverts during F1 practice sessions on Sky. tongue

John.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 20-Apr-13 10:59:18
Print Post

[re: Sark] [link to this post]

[chuckle]
I assume you mean on a TV broadcast on Sky? Don't care. That was flogged to death. There are none during during qualifying or the race. That's all I care about.

Maybe we could stay on the W8/touchscreen topic? smile

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to