Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RiffRaff
(knowledge is power) Tue 23-Apr-13 20:43:35
Print Post

Microsoft to bring back start button in Windows 8.1...

[link to this post]

...aswell as boot to desktop.

'Although Microsoft justified the removal of the Start button with data from its Customer Experience Improvement Program, the reinstatement is due to customer feedback.'

'The news comes after reports that Microsoft will add a 'boot to desktop' option in Windows 8.1. This will allow users to avoid booting to the Modern UI interface, which is less useful on a traditional desktop PC.'

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/windows/3443532/micr...
http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/22/4251610/windows-8-...
http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-windows-8-plan-blue-...

I for one, am glad.

Plusnet Unlimited Fibre

Edited by RiffRaff (Tue 23-Apr-13 20:44:47)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 23-Apr-13 21:12:11
Print Post

Re: Microsoft to bring back start button in Windows 8.1...

[re: RiffRaff] [link to this post]

It's not 100 percent sure that either/both of these options will be baked into the final Blue release, which is expected to be released to manufacturing on or around August 2013.
However, the new Start button will simply be a way of accessing the Start Screen with its Modern UI tiles. Therefore, it will not include the familiar Start menu for finding and launching programs.

It will effectively be a repeat of the button which is already found in the Windows 8 Charms bar. It will even look the same with the latest square Windows flag design used for Windows 8

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________

Edited by BatBoy (Tue 23-Apr-13 21:16:16)

Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Apr-13 22:22:08
Print Post

'Although Microsoft justified the removal of the Start button with data from its Customer Experience Improvement Program, the reinstatement is due to customer feedback.'

It does make you wonder how Microsoft evaluated the data from the Improvement Program as I don't see how the two could be different, especially as customers stated before Windows 8 was released that the Start button should be kept...

Follow me on Twitter. Now with plusnet
Approx 73Mbps download/18Mbps upload
My Blog
12 Things...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Tue 23-Apr-13 22:36:12
Print Post

[re: MrTAToad2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrTAToad2:

It does make you wonder how Microsoft evaluated the data from the Improvement Program as I don't see how the two could be different, especially as customers stated before Windows 8 was released that the Start button should be kept...

I think it may be a case of people not telling MS to 'not change things'. Only those who wanted changes voice them. Those who don't want changes don't tend to say "Seb...now don't you go deleting the hardware forum". We assume he won't, and if he does, then we'll let him know we had rather he hadn't.

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

I've forgotten more about broadband than I care to remember.
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Apr-13 22:43:28
Print Post

That's a bit like my previous Bank (HSBC), when asked why they were closing the Cashier Desks on a Saturday, responding by saying it was because of Customer Demand!

When then asked just how many Customers had requested it to be closed then cited Customer confidentiality!

Regards,
John
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-Apr-13 02:02:38
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
It's not 100 percent sure that either/both of these options will be baked into the final Blue release, which is expected to be released to manufacturing on or around August 2013.
However, the new Start button will simply be a way of accessing the Start Screen with its Modern UI tiles. Therefore, it will not include the familiar Start menu for finding and launching programs.

It will effectively be a repeat of the button which is already found in the Windows 8 Charms bar. It will even look the same with the latest square Windows flag design used for Windows 8

Sounds naff, might stick with Classic Shell start button.

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Variety LLU
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-Apr-13 07:07:08
Print Post

Surely anyone who wants these features in their Windows 8 installation has already implemented them. Seems like a lot of fuss about nothing.
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-Apr-13 12:04:33
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

Can you really trust non-official ways though ?

Follow me on Twitter. Now with plusnet
Approx 73Mbps download/18Mbps upload
My Blog
12 Things...
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-Apr-13 12:21:35
Print Post

What's to trust? They work, which is all I need. If I stuck to using Microsoft software only I would have a very limited computing experience.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 25-Apr-13 21:56:42
Print Post

this is certianly interesting. Maybe microsoft starting to realise desktop still is important in todays world.

All need now is for aero themes to be reinstated and the bugs fixed.

actually it seems only the button is coming back not the menu it self.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012

Edited by Chrysalis (Thu 25-Apr-13 21:57:56)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to